Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bucket List Trip

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
The wife and I have talked about heading north for a few years and we pulled the trigger. We took a cruise too Alaska. We flew out of Cleveland and landed in Seattle and boarded the Norwegian ship "Joy", Saturday May 11. Our first port of call was in Juneau. We had great weather (for Alaska) and at times we had warmer temps than back here in Ohio. The wife really wanted to go whale watching so we had pre booked 2 trips, one for Juneau and one for Hoonah. We weren't disappointed at either location.

This was our 3rd cruise and we really enjoy the whole experience and Norwegian is a good fit for what we like. Most of it is ala carte which fits our needs. Our first cruise was back before we had kids and then again 2 years ago and both were too the Caribbean so this was a big change.

The scenery was spectacular as you could imagine and a few can attest that had lived and traveled there here on the site. Between the wife and I we snapped over 2k pictures and it'll be a month of editing them all lol. Some didn't pan out as well as we had hoped but many of them did. Whales and eagles as well as the mountains and coastline we the bulk of them. We chose the inter coastal route too get as much of the flavor of Alaska we could see from the water.

All in all it was a great trip and I'd do it again in a heartbeat (if my wallet wasn't currently empty) lol. Our only hiccup was on the way home and involved american airlines and one of their broke ass airplanes lol. Added another day too the excursion.

I'll add pictures sporadically throughout the next few days so y'all can get a taste of what we had seen. If you've ever thought of heading that way, do it. You won't be disappointed.

We did Juneau, Ketchikan, Hoonah and our final port before heading back too Seattle was Victoria BC.
DSC_0126.JPG
DSC_0192.JPG
DSC_0209.JPG
DSC_0214.JPG
DSC_0232.JPG
DSC_0267.JPG
DSC_0294.JPG
DSC_0310.JPG
DSC_0325.JPG

DSC_0086.JPG

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Awesome trip and on my list to visit. My parents did the cruise, but don’t think that’s for me. I will do the road trip, speed up or slow down in places that I visit as I see fit. Thanks for sharing and looking forward to reading and seeing more of your trip.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Awesome trip and on my list to visit. My parents did the cruise, but don’t think that’s for me. I will do the road trip, speed up or slow down in places that I visit as I see fit. Thanks for sharing and looking forward to reading and seeing more of your trip.

If I was going by myself, that is what I’d do. My wife’s idea of roughing it is a place with no cable 😂

Reactions: CJD3

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
It’s on our bucket list also. Did you do any excursions that had you off of the ship for a few days or did you return to the ship every night? Reason I’m asking is because we were thinking of a cruise where they drop you off at a certain spot, then you take a train to see the country, then after a few days they meet up with the ship in it’s next port and you continue the cruise from there. Looking forward to seeing more pics! Thanks for sharing.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
It’s on our bucket list also. Did you do any excursions that had you off of the ship for a few days or did you return to the ship every night? Reason I’m asking is because we were thinking of a cruise where they drop you off at a certain spot, then you take a train to see the country, then after a few days they meet up with the ship in it’s next port and you continue the cruise from there. Looking forward to seeing more pics! Thanks for sharing.
We were back on the ship nightly, we had discussed doing that and have friends going up in September that are doing just that, but with the wife still working and we're going too the Dominican this fall as well we decided against it. If we too do that I'd want too go a minimum of 2 weeks for that. Too much too see for a 7 day trip.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
In doing the inter coastal route you saw land about 90% of the time. Snow on the peaks stayed year round on most of them. In some of the upcoming pictures you’ll see the rivers flowing off of he peaks and some will have waterfalls on them. Was really cool seeing those.

Reactions: Sgt Fury