Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Carbon vs Aluminum

Isaacorps

Columbus
Hey guys, just curious what y'all think about carbon and aluminum bolts. In the past I always shot carbons out of my slower recurve xbow to retain as much fps as possible. This year I bought a new Wicked Ride Warrior and am shooting Ten Point aluminums with 100 gr heads for a total weight of 425 gr which is supposed to be the sweet spot for this bow. I've shot it a ton on the range and am very happy with the speed and penetration. Just curious what your guys' opinions are. I know they are a bit slower but theoretically retain more kinetic energy for better penetration. They seem to be a huge upgrade from the old heavy cumbersome aluminum bolts

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Carbon is much more forgiving. I have have aluminum arrows aquire a bend just from shooting targets. But that was about 10 yrs ago also. Shoot them a while and check them in a cordless drill.
That tenpoint is an awesome bow especially for the price range it is in.

Isaacorps

Columbus
I can't say enough good things about the bow, especially for what I paid for it. I plan to have it for years to come. I've been shooting the same three bolts in the range and haven't noticed any deviation in flight or placement so far so I'm thinking they tend to hold their shape better than the old ones. I'll definitely try the cordless drill trick! Thanks for the advice

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
My tenpoint came with aluminum arrows. I use them for de-cocking and sometimes shoot a couple for target practice and hunt with the carbon ones. They'd probably be fine for hunting but I have never seen the aluminum ones for sale.

Isaacorps

Columbus
Joel, I got mine at Cabela's. I'd be lying if I said price didn't have at least a small part to do with my decision lol. Unfortunately the only field experience I have with them is the buck I shot at the beginning of the season and couldn't recover. Whether or not arrow choice had anything to do with that, ill unfortunately never know. I'm leaning more towards it was just a misplaced shot on my part that wasn't fatal. It still haunts me...

brancher147

If what you are using works for you don't change it. I have recently had some accuracy issues with my xbow and tried everything (except different bolts) before getting it resolved. Your shooting form and follow through are just as important on xbow as compound bow, it is very easy to throw a shot even if you are "on" in your scope. I will tell you what, xbow is great, but when you start having problems they can be a real chore to diagnose what is wrong. I think troubleshooting and getting back on target is easier with a compound. Is for me anyway.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I bought Mason an Excalibur, (that's a lie, I bought it just cause I wanted to see what they are all about) a couple years back. It came with carbons, and I ordered some aluminums with it. The aluminums will bend if you shoot them into a target from the side. Aluminum will not stand up to the abuse that carbon will. Carbons will either be as straight as the day they were made, or they will break. That is the main reason I switched to carbons out of all of my bows 15 years ago. It's just a far superior shaft material IMO.

brancher147

I bought Mason an Excalibur, (that's a lie, I bought it just cause I wanted to see what they are all about) a couple years back. It came with carbons, and I ordered some aluminums with it. The aluminums will bend if you shoot them into a target from the side. Aluminum will not stand up to the abuse that carbon will. Carbons will either be as straight as the day they were made, or they will break. That is the main reason I switched to carbons out of all of my bows 15 years ago. It's just a far superior shaft material IMO.

This is true.

Isaacorps

Columbus
Agreed, I think the carbons are a better shaft but I stuck with the aluminum initially just to see how they performed since I had never used them. I had zero issues with them after dozens of shots so I went with "if it ain't broke don't fix it" lol. They seem to shoot really well out of my bow. The only one I've bent is the one I use for decocking since I shoot it straight into the ground. I use a homemade target that I made out of a cardboard box stuffed with leftover industrial strength Saran Wrap that I got from the stock boys at Costco lol. It absorbs the arrow flawlessly without the sudden thud which I think would be what tends to bend them. Best part, it was free 😎 I may try carbons after the season is over and see how they compare. I don't really want to go tweaking my setup right now since I've got it dialed in. Good stuff, I enjoy hearing all y'alls opinions!

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio

I shot a carbon one into the ground from my stand this morning and it looks like a candy cane lol. Fugger got all bent up but didn't break. Before this morning I've never had one break or bend though.