Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

carve decoys

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Anyone here do it? i built a few back in the day out of cork but wonder if anyone else has tried it. since i am mostly done now i was thinking about giving it a go for sumptin to do

tuffshot

The Crew
I made a few years ago. All are gone now, some started and some finished
It is not just gluing a couple of pieces of wood together and carving.
There is a question of balance in the carving to make sure it floats properly in the water.
Also the detail of the carving and then paint.
Not sure of a good wood source right now but Bass wood is good for carving but may be hard too find.
Should be some plans on the internet and some instruction I am sure.

saddlepants

central Ohio
woody decoy.jpg
I could paint them but dont think I could carve them

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I've never carved any, but have made a fair share of foam bodies & urethane heads, covered them with burlap, then painted 'em up. Eventually, I'd like to start carving but right now I just don't have the spare time.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'd like to collect a few old ones for the house.

My dad is a collector and has quite a few. Each spring there is a big decoy collectors show up in Westlake. You should check it out... lots of nice stuff there... and some really good buys.

I've always thought about getting into decoy carving. I'm pretty decent at carving things, and actually I use to carve quite a few plugs and crankbaits for fishing. I just don't have the time to spend on it right now... It's probably something I'll try when I get a bit older.