Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

CCW for the wife

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
As the title says the wife has finally decided to to start shopping for a nice and comfortable concealed carry. Was curious if any of your ladies carried on the daily, and if so what is their choice?

Reactions: Dustinb80

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Best thing too do is find a range that rents handguns and let her try some out. If you don’t have any close by hit the gun shops and let her handle some and see what feels comfortable for her. My wife doesn’t daily carry but has a Bersa .380 and she likes it.
My daughter is a Glock fan, she carried the 26 and she’s 4’11 and it feels comfortable too her.

Jamie

Ohio
Sig P380. Slide very easy to work. Recoil tolerable for such a small piece. Very accurate, decent trigger. Mucho dinero. I bought one for my 72 year old mother because it was the only one she had the hand strength to rack the slide on. I Liked it so much, I got one for my wife. She loves it.

Reactions: Mike and Sgt Fury

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
My wife carries a Kimber K6s DCR, it is 357, but she has it loaded with 38

D3E5BEF1-3D8D-4395-9B04-605C5464E0AE.png

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Thanks for all the replies fellas. I figured as much for the go let her feel e few up at a shop, but was wanting a few models to ask for up front.

Will be keeping this updated as we shop.

Reactions: Sgt Fury and giles

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Thanks for all the replies fellas. I figured as much for the go let her feel e few up at a shop, but was wanting a few models to ask for up front.

Will be keeping this updated as we shop.
Like many have said, let her work the action of the semi auto pistols. Also let her try and load a mag up as well. They sell a mag attachment too help load it easier but they’re a little cumbersome at first. Wheel gun with a speed loader might be a good option.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
My wife carries that S&W airweight 642 loaded with puppy shells. (Low recoil) simple, light, no safety or hammer. Purse junk like makeup dust, kids snack crumbs won't make it fail to feed, just pull and pull. Can also be fired multiple times from inside the purse.

20200423_134148.jpg

My wife carries that S&W airweight 642 loaded with puppy shells. (Low recoil) simple, light, no safety or hammer. Purse junk like makeup dust, kids snack crumbs won't make it fail to feed, just pull and pull. Can also be fired multiple times from inside the purse.

View attachment 100917
That’s exactly what I’m looking at for my daughter. She will be 21 this summer and has been begging to get her class done and start carrying. She likes my SW Shield and shoots very well with it but just like you said about the reliability of the wheel gun is the selling point.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I'm going to be the slightly contrarian here. Take her to a range that has a LARGE selection of rental guns and figure out what she likes and dislikes about different models. Then look around at different instructors and see if she can take a basic pistol class and if the instructor has any of those models to borrow/rent during the class. A woman's class would be even better.

Manipulating the slide and firearm in a tactical/defensive scenario is different that on a standard shooting range. That way she isn't learning any bad techniques about shooting or manipulating the firearm, and he/she may know some tips that work better for women. For example my wife cannot slingshot a slide in the same way I can at all. However, the technique she was taught at the Faster classess works great for her.

I would caution against a revolver. They have the simplicity of action in their favor yes. But they have a lot of things against them. The long double action trigger pull is challenging to be fast and accurate with. The limited capacity is a hindrance against someone who is chemically enhanced or against multiple threats. Running lightweight loads decreases felt recoil but also dereases effectiveness.

The .380 ACP is a bare minimum round. The P380 by sig or the colt mustang is a great gun but it has a manual safety that you have to train to remember to disengage. It'll probably take multiple shots with a 380 to achieve the same stop as a 9mm.

There's a reason most law enforcement has moved to the 9mm. Easy for most people to shoot, economical to shoot and the same size gun carries more rounds than in the other common calibers of 40 or 45.

A smaller frame gun may or may not fit her hand better but will have more felt recoil and less rounds carried. Also, the recoil springs are stiffer than the larger size in the same gun making it harder to manipulate for reloads/malfunctions or in general.

My wife carries a S&W Shield but I also had to do some slight sanding of the frame to fit her hand and not cause blisters on higher round count classes.

The Walther PPS M2 is my favorite subcompact 9mms. The sig p365 is a close second. The shield and glock 43 are a little lighter and have a snapper recoil. I would not carry a .380 so i do not advocate that females carry them. The same pretty much goes for .38 snub nose revolvers. After a few shooting sessions any determaned female shooter should be competent with a 9mm subcompact. Do not forget to have her shoot whatever ammo she going to be carrying and not just range ammo. I would also reccomend to sign her up for a handgun self defense class.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
The Walther PPS M2 is my favorite subcompact 9mms. The sig p365 is a close second. The shield and glock 43 are a little lighter and have a snapper recoil. I would not carry a .380 so i do not advocate that females carry them. The same pretty much goes for .38 snub nose revolvers. After a few shooting sessions any determaned female shooter should be competent with a 9mm subcompact. Do not forget to have her shoot whatever ammo she going to be carrying and not just range ammo. I would also reccomend to sign her up for a handgun self defense class.

My wife actually dislikes my p365 and considers it harder to shoot than her shield.