Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Cellular Cams..

Fletch

Supporting Member
So whos using cellular cams and what brand and carrier are you using??? I'm looking to get one to put out in Illinois when I make my annual work trip... My friend put out a Spartan cam back in March and it's sending pics every day... I'm just wondering if any other quality cams out there... I believe he's using AT&T for service... We currently have 8 other regular cams running on that farm.. I better stock up on AAA batteries and sd cards before I head out...

Reactions: Big_Holla

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
So whos using cellular cams and what brand and carrier are you using??? I'm looking to get one to put out in Illinois when I make my annual work trip... My friend put out a Spartan cam back in March and it's sending pics every day... I'm just wondering if any other quality cams out there... I believe he's using AT&T for service... We currently have 8 other regular cams running on that farm.. I better stock up on AAA batteries and sd cards before I head out...
I’m using a spartan cellular cam but even with lithium batteries, they were going dead in 2 months. I did some investigating and was told that the solar panels used for feeders do not have the power to keep up with a cellular camera. I did find a company that uses 5 watt solar panels specially for spartan cameras. He assured me as long as you get at least 8 hours of sun, you’ll be fine. I’ll dig up the info and post it here. The picture quality is good, and you can change the camera settings from your phone. I use Verizon. 5 bucks a month. Spartan charges $36 per year but you can buy their plan a month at a time.... cheaper to just buy the entire 12 months.

Reactions: Fletch

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
7DB5AFA2-F594-4005-AB70-77DF11624EDF.png
0AA99C19-7323-4280-BD8D-8C8957433383.png
B6BA1744-2FB8-47E1-8E3D-230619D08C09.png

Go online and check these out...this is the solar panel I put up in early May....so far, still full charge.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Sgt.. Thanks.. My friend bought an external power pack for his.. Its in a battery box and sitting at bottom of tree.. So far his battery life is great esp for all the pics it's taking.. Pics are very good.. So I'll probably get same cam and plan, esp since it's working so good.. Illinois sucks for cell service...

Fletch

Supporting Member
Great pics... Solar panel might be the ticket as where the cam is going has a ton of sun...

Reactions: Sgt Fury

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've got 4 of the spypoint wireless cams and have been very pleased with them. I run only Energizer ultimate lithium batteries and get 3-4+ months on a set. Spypoint makes some of the most affordable cams but their data packages are more expensive relative to other cams. Do your research before diving in that's for sure. Gotta weigh the long term costs right along with the short term costs.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
We run 2 coverts...dad has solar chargers and 6v batteries rigged up to them... we have had them for about 5 years now and they still work good (knock on wood).

TripleA88 runs converts with an external battery also. Their customer service has been great to him. He had squirrels get in and eat up the wiring on one that was two years old so he called and told them what happened, they gave him an RMA number and sent him a new model year for free. He also had one that was 4 years old and quite working. They told him to send it back with $150 and they'd send him a new one. Their trade in program is great. Call and tell them you've had the cams for 5 years and would like to trade them in. They'll tell you how and you can have some brand new ones.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
TripleA88 runs converts with an external battery also. Their customer service has been great to him. He had squirrels get in and eat up the wiring on one that was two years old so he called and told them what happened, they gave him an RMA number and sent him a new model year for free. He also had one that was 4 years old and quite working. They told him to send it back with $150 and they'd send him a new one. Their trade in program is great. Call and tell them you've had the cams for 5 years and would like to trade them in. They'll tell you how and you can have some brand new ones.
For guys who have squirrel troubles...if you can get your hands on old payphone handles, cut the armored cord off and run your wire through it. I’ve used it for trailcams and feeders. Never had a problem since.

Camodan

I run SPYPOINT cameras with solar panel boxes HME makes one that’s excellent for $60

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The coverts are a bit pricier than the spypoint cams, but last I checked their data packages were much cheaper. If I were to start over I would look pretty hard at the coverts. No complaints about my spypoints though... So far at least.

Reactions: twireman