Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Check those treestand cables

Blackbeard

Oak Hill, OH
image.jpg

I replaced cables on 4 of my 8 hangons this year, these came off them, the cables on my cheap stands were bad, the loop actually broke off one when it hit the ground last winter! The cables on the right are from a Big Game stand, they are fine. The good ones have the rubber cinched into the crimper. From what I found the better the stand, the better the cables. Good meaning Remington, Big Game, and Gorilla. Walmart or Sportsmans Guide stands have very cheap cables. The stands are fine, a little noisy, but ok.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Just let Dante borrow a couple stands a couple weekends ago and told him to make sure to check those cables as well.

I need to pull mine after this season and bring them in for service.

Blackbeard

Oak Hill, OH
I changed every bolt in those four as well, about 9 bolts per stand, a lot of work, but they were real rusty. One of the stands was 10 years old and had never had the bolts or cables changed, long overdue.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Good thing to keep in mind! I always check the straps or chains but never really think about the tree stand hardware itself. Thanks for posting!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Great post, we get wrapped up on getting everything ready and forget some of the really important stuff.... Good reminder for us all....

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
That is a good reminder! I have one I need to take down and hang a different stand all together. The dang thing never felt overly-secure when I bought it...and that was 20 years ago! A loggy bayou that only weighs 7 lbs is probably something I should retire! I did kill a doe from it the one time I hunted it last year though, so I should probably stick another in the same tree!

MQ1-Z7

Ashland Co.
I only have one hang on and even after inspection i look at those cables and think hmm wonder if this thing will hold my ole fat A#$ up as i sit there lol Be sure to wear the safety harness new or old cables! BB thanks for reminding me i need to put the new seat on my hang on thanks to the critters eating my mesh seat!

00buck

yeah i checked mine thanks for the reminder blackbeard and dont forget harnesses also have expiration date on them at least mine does