Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Chokes

huntn2

Hudson, OH
What type of choke? I just went through rogers sporting goods for a patternmaster for waterfowl...

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
There are so many good websites to deal with... My suggestion would be to pick the choke that you want, then search around for the best price. I bought a Kicks High Flyer for ducks and geese a few years ago... I think from Mack's Prairie Wings. What are you looking for Beener? If you're wanting a waterfowl choke, go with either a Kicks or a Patternmaster. Both are outstanding for waterfowl, and throw really great patterns with lead as well.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I was looking to get a full set. Plus, I was looking at some of the extended I/C ones like Briley. Maybe a .718 to .720 constriction. I can't justify spending $80 on a choke though.

From my knowledge of mechanics I don't see the advantages that the big dollar ones really produce. If they are both extended and have the same constriction, and made of the same material why not go with the $40 choke? Really asking btw. Lol

Milo

Tatonka guide.
i believe pattern masters are made to slow the wad down upon exit and that helps condense the pattern with noncompressable steel shot. for fowl i would suggest and improved modified choke.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I tried an IM and the pattern was better using Hevi-Metal loads with an I/C. I am going to limit myself to 40 yard shots and I shot the patterns from 25 yards to 40 yards on a board. But this is with 3" shells. I need to get some 3.5's and I may change my mind or the pattern.

Correct me if I am wrong but the claim of the pattern master is that they are releasing the gas faster which puts the pellets out in front of the wad better. Buy looking at them they are doing this by bringing the ports closer to the crown? If so, many others do this also but haven't marketed it this way. I think a better designed wad would do this better than the choke since all it is really doing is constricting and some compensating/porting of gas.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Lots of claims are made to sell chokes. Like a lot of things for guns 2 different guns could give different results. Pattern board is the only way to know and and you have buy the tube to try.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I tried an IM and the pattern was better using Hevi-Metal loads with an I/C. I am going to limit myself to 40 yard shots and I shot the patterns from 25 yards to 40 yards on a board. But this is with 3" shells. I need to get some 3.5's and I may change my mind or the pattern.

Correct me if I am wrong but the claim of the pattern master is that they are releasing the gas faster which puts the pellets out in front of the wad better. Buy looking at them they are doing this by bringing the ports closer to the crown? If so, many others do this also but haven't marketed it this way. I think a better designed wad would do this better than the choke since all it is really doing is constricting and some compensating/porting of gas.

Patternmaster chokes have tiny "studs" on the inside to grab and slow down the wad as Milo mentioned. What this does is it condenses the pattern... It turns a "string" of steel shot into a "ball" of steel shot. The result is a more uniform pattern that hits like a ton of bricks. Instead of a duck getting caught by a part of the shot string while flying by, it gets hit by a shit-load of shot all at once. The Kick's chokes are advertised to do the same thing, only they don't have studs on the inside. Instead, the directional porting of the choke grabs the wad.

I tried a Briley extended choke with my Browning Gold, and it was "ok"... But my Kick's High Flyer just plain WRECKS birds, dude. If you put a Kicks or a Patternmaster in your gun, I guarantee the number of cripples you see will drop off dramatically.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Good info thanks guys.

I would think the "tiny studs" would...nevermind makes sense. The studs are before the shot leaves the wad.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Another thing to keep in mind.... If you plan on shooting Federal Black Cloud for waterfowl, DO NOT buy a regular Kicks, Patternmaster, or other wad-stripping choke. The special "Flight-Control" wad in the black cloud ammo can and will get stuck in the end of your barrel... without you knowing it of course... that is, until the barrel blows up on your follow-up shot. They make special chokes now for use with Federal Black Cloud.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That is good to know. Lol

I have Hevi Metal now. But had some black cloud. That could have been ugly.

That Hevi Metal is nasssssstyyyyy on birdies. For regular, more wallet-friendly waterfowl loads, I'm a huge fan of Kent Fasteel 3's and 4's.

Longdraw

Central,Ohio
I am shooting a patternmaster improved modified in my sp-10 and the a Pure Gold Waterfowl improved cylinder Tube in my beretta,the pattermaster is the bomb in the 10ga.,I haven't shot the Pure Gold Choke Tube enough yet to say how well it performs

Beentown,
I highly recommend you call Carlson's and talk to Scott or Shane. Their customer service is the best I've ever experienced or heard of from any business.

I purchased a Dead Coyote choke tube from Cabelas ($40) and a couple of boxes of Dead Coyote ammo. Patterned them and wouldn't trust the pattern past 30 yards...it's advertised good out to 60 yds. The Dead Coyote choke tube is a .660" restriction. I called Carlsons and talked to one of their patterning techs, by the name of Scott. He said that for the type of long range patterns that I was hoping to attain, I would need a choke tube with less restriction. He asked how many different distances I'd tried to pattern (40 yd. max.) and requested I try further and closer. I did and made another call with my results.

I talked with a tech by the name of Shane, this time. During the conversation, I found out that Scott is Scott Carlson...Shane's Dad. Shane does most of the test patterning, so I was in good hands. I explained my patterns and the 50ish range I was trying to attain, for coyotes. He said to put the Dead Coyote choke tube in an envelope with a note stating "please exchange for a .680" restriction" and he would turn it around as soon as it got to him. No charge, just a simple exchange. Gotta love service like that and the choke tube works great too. :smiley_bril:

I'm certain, that Carlson's would have a good recommendation for your specific application.
www.choketube.com

Bowhunter57

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I think I am going to need to do some patterning here soon as well. Planning on carrying a shotgun for close range coyotes this year.

hickslawns said:
I think I am going to need to do some patterning here soon as well. Planning on carrying a shotgun for close range coyotes this year.
Phil,
Let me know when/if you want to do some patterning, as I have an entire roll of patterning paper and you're welcome to as much as you need. It's an old end roll from the local news paper company and I've got plenty.

Bowhunter57

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Phil,
Let me know when/if you want to do some patterning, as I have an entire roll of patterning paper and you're welcome to as much as you need. It's an old end roll from the local news paper company and I've got plenty.

Bowhunter57

Will do. Not honestly sure that any of my shotguns have screw in chokes though. Only one that does is not exactly what I would carry into the field to throw in the mud and weeds to coyote hunt with. Maybe just see how the patterns hold at different yardages with different loads is my only real option. If this doesn't work, then I will just stick with the sidearm for my close range piece. Then again, the AR is not bad whether they are near or far. lol