Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

City deer

jwiley77

One of the most frustrating things to me about hunting in this part of the country is:
First off, the lack of area to hunt, all this privately owned land, hard for a guy like me that knows virtually no one to gain access to land to hunt.
Second, and more importantly, the lack of urban hunting permits. The deer population in the cities is unreal, today near Reading Ohio I'm working on a chiller in a heavily populated area, I come with 30' of hands down the largest whitetail deer I've ever seen in person (keep in mind I've been to alot of Cabela's [emoji2]) I tried to get my phone out to get a picture but he darted back into the ditch bank snorting the whole way.
Really made me want to get out in a tree and enjoy nature.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Definitely an issue. No access for the hunters where the deer are a problem. No permission other places or you are sharing 20acres with 5 others. It is a real problem. At least you got a cool encounter with the buck!

Reactions: GoetsTalon

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
Same here smh. Some decent monster buck here by my house. Like its Haha wave you cant touch me, lol

Reactions: GoetsTalon

jwiley77

Saw a video from the guy at demolition ranch where he was shooting a 50 Cal CO2 air rifle, would be a great urban hunting weapon of choice. Silent, and drop them right in their tracks.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The amount of unhuntable urban areas in Ohio is frustrating for sure. But there are lots of other opportunities out there if you're willing to look for them. Not knowing someone doesn't mean you can't obtain permission to hunt private land. Is it difficult? Sure. Will you get turned down more often than not? Yes. But persistence and a good attitude will pay off. Have you applied for Division of Wildlife controlled hunt opportunities? Local nature preserve or metroparks hunts?

jwiley77

No sir. I have not. I had to sell my bow in order to pay attorney fees to kick the ex to the curb so I've not had a means to hunt with for a couple years. I hope to start getting back into things this year.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
No sir. I have not. I had to sell my bow in order to pay attorney fees to kick the ex to the curb so I've not had a means to hunt with for a couple years. I hope to start getting back into things this year.
Damn. Sorry to hear that man. Hopefully you can get back out there and enjoy some quality treestand therapy.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Cool! I’m near Morrow! Welcome to TOO!

You have some good deer down that way. Like stated earlier, just get out there and meet people and knock on doors. The more you knock the better your odds. BTW I’ve seen many pictures of huge deer killed in the Indian Hill area that would rival even the likes of Stark county Ohio. Maybe they don’t reside behind every tree like up in Stark but there have been many once in a lifetime deer killed in that area.

Reactions: Bigslam51

Reagan

Milford, OH
I have a customer who has a wall full of giant bucks he has killed in Indian Hill. His in laws live there so he has a connection to get permission.

I live in Milford. I do all of my deer hunting in SE Ohio where I have family. I do find duck spots around here but I work very hard to get them.

jwiley77

Ya I talk to alot of people who would like to have me hunt with them but the farms they hunt are family or friend owned and they are not really okay with others hunting their land.
I will start looking for places to hunt when I can actually get back into everything, right now I'd just trapes around leaving scent everywhere looking but not actually being able to set up and hunt, I don't want to blow a chance for someone else so until I'm set back up I'm holding off on opening doors

jwiley77

I do have an Amish gentleman that has a large farm out east of Peebles that I offered to hunt yotes and he was very open to the idea. He asked if I'd hunt fox too. That's a new one for me.