Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Close Range for the upcoming Deer Gun Season

As a retirement gift to myself. 😁 My deer hunting during the Deer Gun Season, will be a close range affair.
I purchased it at the Patriot Attic, in Huntsville, Ohio and got a great deal. I just had the HoloSun red dot installed at Midwest Shooting Center. Picked up some ammo and a holster too. Now, if the weather will cooperate, I'll get out to the range and see how she runs. 😎
R.I.A. Pro Match Tac Ultra 6" HC (High Capacity) in 10mm.
HC 3.jpg

Chancegriffis

Salesville ohio
As a retirement gift to myself. 😁 My deer hunting during the Deer Gun Season, will be a close range affair.
I purchased it at the Patriot Attic, in Huntsville, Ohio and got a great deal. I just had the HoloSun red dot installed at Midwest Shooting Center. Picked up some ammo and a holster too. Now, if the weather will cooperate, I'll get out to the range and see how she runs. 😎
R.I.A. Pro Match Tac Ultra 6" HC (High Capacity) in 10mm.
View attachment 149352
How’s the hammer and what’s the barrel length?

Reactions: Bowhunter57
How’s the hammer and what’s the barrel length?
Chancegriffis,
I'm guessing you're asking about the trigger, not the hammer. It's a Pro Match grade pistol, so the trigger is adjustable. I have yet to shoot it, but I've adjusted the trigger to suit me (lightened it up a bit)....at least until I shoot it. The barrel is 6" long and is a match grade bull barrel. 💯
I'll have to post some photos of the targets, after i get to the range with it, this weekend. 😎

Reactions: GoetsTalon
Copy. So you have a bow that you think is long range and now a gun for short range. 🤔
My Ruger American, in 450 Bushmaster is my "long range" weapon for the Gun Season, but I'll give it a rest for this year.
The longest shot I've taken with a bow, is 28 yards and I'd prefer to keep it closer. 👍
I shot a buck in 2013 at 58 yards, with my Ruger Super Redhawk 44 Mag. As it turns out, I had practiced out to 60 yards with off-hand shooting. So, it worked out. I'm hoping for a shot inside 50 yards with this 10mm. 😎

Reactions: CJD3 and hickslawns

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nice piece. @giles that was funny. Most people do seem to think their Raven is good out to 100yds. For what it's worth, I never caught that from your posts, Daniel.

Nice piece. @giles that was funny. Most people do seem to think their Raven is good out to 100yds. For what it's worth, I never caught that from your posts, Daniel.
Thanks, Phil! I shot my first deer, a doe, at about 12 yards, last fall with my Ravin R10. I can't get it into my head about shooting further with any kind of archery equipment. I know it can be done, but it just seems more like a close range weapon.
I can't wait to get to the range later today! 😎 💯👍
RIA 1.jpg

Reactions: CJD3

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Save your brass. If you know someone that reloads or you get into it. Unless you get specific hunting ammo the range stuff is weak. The Sig V Crown stuff is pretty decent but the bullets they use have a reputation of coming apart. The Hornady is good since it uses the xtp bullet. This is the entrance side of a under ten yard shot with the Sig ammo.
IMG_20191206_102907844.jpg

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Don't believe the bullshit that it's 41 magnum power either. It's more of a hot .357 that punches .400 holes. If you get underwood or buffalo bore then your on the hot end.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Nice rig!

A friend and I have the job of picking the guns for our SCI fundraiser banquet. Since we are a hunting organization we try to keep hunting use in mind for most(not all) guns we choose. The last 2 years I’ve picked a 10mm, a Kimber last year and a Glock this year.

Don't believe the bullshit that it's 41 magnum power either. It's more of a hot .357 that punches .400 holes. If you get underwood or buffalo bore then your on the hot end.
GoetsTalon,
I have yet to find JHP hunting ammo, but I will. I intend to use quality ammo and I'm sure it'll cost a bit more, but it's not like I'll be running through it. I've been reloading since 1977 and gave some thought to reloading for this cartridge. However, it being an auto-loader and "spitting" brass, then trying to find it to reload....I'll pass. :rolleyes: I may change my mind after I put in some range time. Actually, I'd prefer reloading, if finding the brass doesn't become too much of a pain.

Nice rig!

A friend and I have the job of picking the guns for our SCI fundraiser banquet. Since we are a hunting organization we try to keep hunting use in mind for most(not all) guns we choose. The last 2 years I’ve picked a 10mm, a Kimber last year and a Glock this year.
Ohiosam,
Thanks! 😎 I nearly purchased a Glock model 40, their long slide model. However, I'd still need to replace the trigger and the breech tolerances are loose compared to any 1911 models. Glocks are good weapons, but I'm just not a fan of how they fit and feel in my hands. :rolleyes:

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Federal range was $40 a box I'd hate to see it now. I just put a 10x10 blue tarp out for the brass to land on. Reloading is the only way to get the full potential out of the 10mm. The lead shed in Wauseon is where I found all my 10mm stuff but that was before the crazy times.

Jamie

Ohio
Federal range was $40 a box I'd hate to see it now. I just put a 10x10 blue tarp out for the brass to land on. Reloading is the only way to get the full potential out of the 10mm. The lead shed in Wauseon is where I found all my 10mm stuff but that was before the crazy times.
This. Collecting brass isn’t hard. Easier still if you hunt with a wheelgun.😉 I can’t imagine not reloading for the gun I hunt with.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Ohiosam,
Thanks! 😎 I nearly purchased a Glock model 40, their long slide model. However, I'd still need to replace the trigger and the breech tolerances are loose compared to any 1911 models. Glocks are good weapons, but I'm just not a fan of how they fit and feel in my hands. :rolleyes:
I absolutely agree that the 1911 platform is superior choice for a hunting 10mm. I try to mix things up, and am limited by budget (different raffles have different budgets) and availability.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Agree on the 1911 but went the budget rout lol. Even with adding a after market barrel, recoil spring and guide rod. I came in under on what I would want in a 1911 in 10mm. Can't beat a single action trigger be it in a revolver or auto loader.

I was at a local gun show, yesterday and was looking around at the prices for 10mm ammo. :rolleyes:
I ended up making the decision to reload for this weapon. I was able to get brass ($20 for 50), 100 Hornady FTX bullets for $30, a Lee Auto-Prime Shell Holder and reloading dies for $35. I already have the powder and primers, so I'm going to be busy for the next day or two. 😎
Also, ordered a couple of Case-Gard ammo boxes. 👍