Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Cody’s first turkey hunt.

Kurt

Nashport
Three generations slipped across a dew covered field under the shroud of darkness. With decoys set we waited in anticipation. The first shimmers of light ignited to the east and then the sun showed itself. Silence.
It would be easy to be discouraged by not hearing or seeing a turkey on your first turkey hunt. Cody however had a smile on his face, he sat for over two hours and was patient. It struck me, what an amazing 5yr old. We quit before he got bored as priority #1 was to have fun. I stopped on my hike back to the building to get the gator and looked over my shoulder. My father and son were gathering the decoys, laughing and playing around. Blessed, blessed to have a family that taught me to respect and enjoy the outdoors. Blessed to be able to witness the interaction between grandfather and grandson. Blessed to live in a free country where such liberties are allowed. Blessed to watch another sunset, the first sunset in the turkey woods with my son. We may not have punched Cody’s tag this morning but we all three enjoyed a successful hunt.
I have been asked why I would get up at 5:00am on a day off to chase a bird around. The answer is pretty simple, sunrises and memories- (gobbles are nice too.)Things that can’t be bought, things that last forever. In all actuality those things are what we should all be hunting for.
B6CBB497-6814-455E-A57C-F362A2A2C940.jpeg