Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Coffman Buck

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
This is a lengthly read...but sure makes you shake your head.. (I stole it so if not allowed, I understand)

Something most don't know about the Coffman Buck!

After killing the Coffman Buck, I was immediately contacted by several people about scoring. I was obviously excited about what it would score as well. The first person to score it was Ed Wait through Buckmasters, then Tom Moore through SCI. I had no issues with either of the 2 and it was a pleasant time getting it done.

After that, things got pretty sketchy. I won't mention personal names in this because it really doesn't matter.

After the drying period, I then wanted to get an official B&C, P&Y and Buckeye Big Buck score. All these scoring entities score exactly the same and most in Ohio that score for one, score for the others as well.

A friend of mine contacted me and asked if I was ready to get it done. The drying period was over, so, yes I was. He made contact to a guy who had scored for many years. The guy was very busy with other things but changed around his plans to accommodate me because he also was excited to be a part of it. After talking to my friend, I was also informed that this gentleman was a retired Green Barrette and had spent time in war for our country. I have a huge respect for our veterans, so that was icing on the cake for me.

The day before my appointment with this gentleman, I was contacted by a higher up in the P&Y entity of Ohio and asked if I was ready to have it panel scored. I told him yes but I also had plans to have it scored the next day by this gentleman. He knew of the guy and strongly advised me to not have it scored because it would look like I was shopping for scores. I informed him that this gentleman had moved his schedule around for me and I told him I'd be there. I'm a man of my word and thats more important than the Coffman Buck. He went as far to even tell me that the gentleman was not a credible scorer. I asked him why he had scored for them for so many years then. He had no answer but told me that they did not want him scoring it and if he did, there would be problems. I told him that I would reconsider it.

After reconsidering, I decided that my word was still more important, especially when that word was to a gentleman that served for my country. I went the next day and had him score the Coffman Buck. This was also a pleasant experience.

Approximately a week or so later, I had my date to have it panel scored a couple hours north of me by 5 guys from Ohio who belonged to B&C, P&Y and Buckeye Big buck. When Jeremy and I showed up, we where greeted at a sportsman club by all 5 scorers. We talked hunting and the buck a little and then they proceeded to panel score the Coffman Buck. From what I understood at the time, all 5 guys would discuss and come to a majority agreement on anything that was questionable. That's not what I saw. I saw 1 guy who had seniority run the show and the other 4 let him. As far as them scoring it, I was not upset though. I feel they where fair to the Coffman Buck.

At one point they did question rather the right g3 had a second point on it or nor. The argument from 3 of the guys was that it did because the point in question formed a figure 8 like it should off the g3, the other 2 guys said it was not a point. One of the 2 that didn't think it was, happened to be the senior scorer and he decided it did not count as a point. I didn't care because it was a little over an inch at most and I can honestly say that I didn't even consider it a point until they mentioned it but I also wasn't familiar with the rules. It wasn't going to change anything anyways. After watching all this go down, I was happy with the way they scored my deer. I thanked them and then asked if I could have a word with them. I proceeded to explain to them that I decided to have it scored by the previous gentleman because I gave him my word and I held that information from them because I knew they would be upset, (as they where) and I did not want them taking it out on The Coffman Buck. It got pretty heated for a minute but then I fired back and explained to them if they where that concerned with how the previous guy scored, to fix the problem in their system. I explained that it was completely unprofessional to bring me in the middle of their drama. They asked me to see the score sheet then requested that I let them destroy that score sheet to mitigate any issues that could arise from it. I did not want any problems at this point, so I let them. I left the club highly irritated but I was happy that I felt the Coffman Buck got a fair score.

At this point, I assumed it was all official. A few months went by and I was contacted by B&C and P&Y several times requesting field pictures and money to enter it in the books. At this point in my life, I was going through some personal family things (child custody). I explained that to them and told them that I would get to it as soon as possible but I couldn't promise anything. Keep in mind that I had also contacted all my sponsors in the hunting Industry and explained the same to them. I told them I wanted to hold off on any contracts because my family had to come first and I could not promise anything. All my sponsors where fine with it but after about the 3rd time contacting me, B&C and P&Y started to get irritable about it. B&C went as far to threaten me because we where telling everyone the official score but hadn't entered it yet and that wasn't being honest. I questioned how it wasn't honest. They informed me that just because it was officially scored by their panel doesn't mean that score will stand. I asked how that could be possible and he told me that once they seen all the field pictures, anything could change. P&Y did not get that nasty about it. They just kept calling.

A few months went by and things settled down, so I took the time to send all the information to B&C and P&Y with my entry fees. I did not hear anything back for a couple months and then it came in the mail from B&C. A letter stating that after looking at my field pictures, they decided that my buck did not have a left brow tine but he just had three main beams. Keep in mind, after 7 different people including the 5 scorers on their roster scored my deer exactly the same way with it in their hands, B&C decided all 7 of them where wrong by only looking at pictures. They never even touched the rack.

I soon called the gentleman who I had spoke to previously for an explanation on this. He informed me that's why they like to get this stuff done quicker in case this kind of thing happens. He advised it was obvious to them that there was no brow tine on the left side. I asked him about the left sheds from 2 previous years that had brow tines that looked just like the brow tine he had now and that the only difference was he now also had a second main beam and what about the fact that 7 different guys from 5 different entities all scored it as a brow tine. He didn't seem to care. The gross score obviously did not change but they knocked my net score down a considerable amount. At this point, I had no respect for B&C and told him to remove my name and buck from their books. I also emailed him so I had that in writing.

What would you know, when the online version came out, my name was on it. I made the call and it was shortly removed.

P&Y had not changed anything but Approximately a year or so later, they contacted me to bring my buck to their main show out West to get it panel scored. I told them it already had been. They advised that this was their P&Y show they put on every so many years and that if I didn't come, they would have to remove my buck from their all time records. I considered this until I found out that not only would I have to pay to get the buck out their, It would also cost me a couple thousand in tickets to get in and the dinner for myself and my wife. I told them that I could not afford the money to do that. They again told me it would be removed from all time record. They advised me if I built a box for the deer and dropped it off at Bass Pro shop, they would pay to ship it but they would not be responsible for it in shipping. I told them they could go ahead and just remove my name from their books as well. By this time I was done with it all.

The only reason I cared so much about entering the books was to keep hunters from doubting the legitimacy of the deer. I have never entered any of my deer in the books.

A year or so later my wife killed a buck that scored in the mid 150's with her compound bow. She was very proud of it and asked me if we could enter it at the 2018 Ohio Deer and Turkey Expo and have it scored. I tried to talk her out of it because of my past experiences but she really wanted to and was excited about it, so I gave in and we took it up. We paid to have it scored through Buckeye Big Buck and P&Y.

Towards the end of the show, I was done with my business at the show and we went over to see how it did. It had the Buckeye Big Buck score on it but not a P&Y score on it. I stopped a lady to ask her why it wasn't scored through P&Y and she advised that they ran out of time. I explained to her that I paid for both. She got snotty and asked me why it mattered because the score would be the same. I mentioned that all the awards were done through P&Y and I was curious if Katelyn would have won an award for a lady killing 150 plus deer with a compound bow. Her response was that they didn't give out awards for woman and that if she wanted to be in a man's sport, she needed to put her big girl panties on and not be concerned about awards for being a girl. I then asked the lady if they didn't recognize females, why was there a pink ribbon on my wife's buck. She had no answer. I looked at my wife and said, have you seen enough? She said yes, I grabbed her deer and said let's go.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
At this point the lady told me that I could not take Katelyn's buck out the door I was headed out. I explained to her that my truck was outside of that door and that I had access to go out that door because I was an exhibitor and was also bringing stuff out from the booth. As I started to head out, she got very verbally aggressive towards me and went as far as to using the "F" word a few times right in front of my two kids. We left immediately. As I stewed on this, I went back in to ask who she was and was informed by another worker that she was the president of Buckeye Big Bucks wife and advised that it wasn't Uncommon for her to act like that and he would bring it up to her husband because it needs to stop. I did receive a call from this gentleman a couple days later apologizing but at this point my family was done with the good Ole boy club drama. In 2019 that same lady got an award for some type of special female hunter of the year. Imagine that!

I have not shared all this previously because I try to keep my social media drama free as much as possible but the more I see about The King buck and everything Jay has went through. The more I have spoke to other guys who have dealt with similar situations, the more I get irritated with the whole system. We are the hunters and the only reason this sport is what it is. Hunters don't need the the companies in the sport,, the companies in the sport need the hunters. Most businesses in our industries realize that and appreciate us. Every once in awhile companies get too big and need reminded of that..

I'm not saying don't use these companies or don't enter your deer but pay attention, make your own opinions and stand for what you believe is right for hunting all together. Unless big changes are made, the only guy I'll let put a tape on my deer is Ed Wait with Buckmasters. He seems to only care about respecting what the deer grew on its head and appreciates the hunters.
FB_IMG_1641082706742.jpg
Screenshot_20220101-215710_Google.jpg

Last edited:
I've had similar experiences here in PA. They are all too happy to get you to get a buck scored, but really they want the Benjamin's. In my mind they give snake oil salesmen a bad name...

Should I be lucky enough to harvest another good buck, there is no way I will ever let them score it. These animals had to compete every second of their lives and I'll be damned if they will compete now in those rigged systems. I have 2 bucks that would make Pa. Game Commission Record Book under rifle non typical and archery typical, plus another rifle typical that just misses. In my mind it is all about what the deer became and nothing to do with my being blessed to harvest them. That was the spirit of these organizations decades ago, but now? Not so much. Basically they want you and I to fund their power trips...

I feel for you and your wife Xbowguy.

Incidentally P&Y doesn't consider the crossbow as an ethical piece of archery equipment and thus won't recognize an animal harvested in that manner.
Guess we may see a crossbow scoring entity some day.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I've had similar experiences here in PA. They are all too happy to get you to get a buck scored, but really they want the Benjamin's. In my mind they give snake oil salesmen a bad name...

Should I be lucky enough to harvest another good buck, there is no way I will ever let them score it. These animals had to compete every second of their lives and I'll be damned if they will compete now in those rigged systems. I have 2 bucks that would make Pa. Game Commission Record Book under rifle non typical and archery typical, plus another rifle typical that just misses. In my mind it is all about what the deer became and nothing to do with my being blessed to harvest them. That was the spirit of these organizations decades ago, but now? Not so much. Basically they want you and I to fund their power trips...

I feel for you and your wife Xbowguy.

Incidentally P&Y doesn't consider the crossbow as an ethical piece of archery equipment and thus won't recognize an animal harvested in that manner.
Guess we may see a crossbow scoring entity some day.

This is not ours. Dan Coffman shot this buck down by Bremen.
I do agree with you, it's all about the money. I've only had one scored. The entry free was ridiculous for a piece of paper... the banquet was a joke @ 25.00 a plate and the meal was terrible.

I never fell that far into the Abyss...

The guy who scored my deer was associated with several scoring organizations, but told me the one he liked the best was the Northeast Big Buck Club.
I chose not to pursue the books nor to write an article of my hunts for the NBBC either. In talking to a couple of my buddies who also have been blessed to harvest great bucks, they too have experienced the same type of irritation. After about 18 months the organizations quit soliciting...finally!

Reminds me of the Who's Who in college. Yet you could get more coverage for less money by taking an ad out in the Penny Saver or any other local trader paper.

All it will buy you though is grief as half the folks will say you probably poached it. Heck, I got a picture of my double drop tine texted to me from a friend who didn't even know I was the one who shot it. Turns out the guy caping it out for me at the processor took the pictures and sent it out! I didn't even know him nor did my friend who sent it to me!!

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
I met Dan at the deer and turkey expo the yearafter he shot that buck, seems like a pretty good guy hell he let me handle the rack and he didn't have a clue who I was. The king buck like he mentioned is another one that got screwed. I think if I ever do decide to get any of mine scored I'd do Buckmasters. But if I want to know what one scores I can read a tape just like them and get it close enough to tell my buddies what it scores.