Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Cold Smoking

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Never done it, but I've heard a bunch of people doin it. There's tons of info on groups on FB. I'm a part of Weber Smokey Mountain group on FB. I learn a ton of shit there.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I do it all the time.

Bacon
Sausage
Cheese
Salt

I use TenderQuik instead of Prague Powder most times for curing.

I either cold smoke in my drum or my big reverse flow. I am doing 60 pounds of bacon next week. 10 days cure, 8 hours if smoke. I use an Amaze-N pellet tray and hickory pellets.

Jamie

Ohio
smoked cheese is awesome. smoked cheddar and gouda are in most deli cases around here. I'm gearing up to do cheese, salt, brown sugar, and fish. smoked parmesan cheese is one of my favorites. ads smokey goodness to everything you grate it on.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
smoked cheese is awesome. smoked cheddar and gouda are in most deli cases around here. I'm gearing up to do cheese, salt, brown sugar, and fish. smoked parmesan cheese is one of my favorites. ads smokey goodness to everything you grate it on.

:smiley_clap:

Jamie

Ohio
I've been resisting my urge to get an A-MAZE-N pellet smoker. you are making it harder. :smile:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I've been resisting my urge to get an A-MAZE-N pellet smoker. you are making it harder. [emoji2]
I like it because I smoke 20-100 pounds of bacon at a time. I can load the big smoker up, light the A-MAZE-N and let it roll for 12 hours (I usually only smoke for 8) and it doesn't transfer any heat. My cook chamber stays at ambient temps.

Jamie

Ohio
what is your opinion of the quality and cost of the smoke using the pellets?

One thing I've never quite understood about bacon is why some people actually cold smoke, some smoke and cook to 125-130 degrees, still others always cook it to 150+. I'm pretty sure I've ever eaten bacon that was legitimately cold smoked only. I've always taken it to about 128 per Kutas and other backyard bacon smokers instruction. what's the virtue in cold smoking only besides I is less time tending to the smoker?

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
what is your opinion of the quality and cost of the smoke using the pellets?

One thing I've never quite understood about bacon is why some people actually cold smoke, some smoke and cook to 125-130 degrees, still others always cook it to 150+. I'm pretty sure I've ever eaten bacon that was legitimately cold smoked only. I've always taken it to about 128 per Kutas and other backyard bacon smokers instruction. what's the virtue in cold smoking only besides I is less time tending to the smoker?
Some pellets are better than others. The time you smoke it gets plenty of "good" smoke flavor.

I prefer cold smoke because you don't render any of the fat. It really just tastes better.

Many do different times/temps because they don't trust their curing process. They go to 150+ to make sure all the bugs are dead.

I trust the cure and mine never stays in the danger zone of "40-140 for 4 hours" for very long, especially before the cure.

That's why I make it in larger batches. I don't do it in the warmer months. If I do I will hot smoke it just to be on the safe side.