Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Colt - Et tu, Brute

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
"Connecticut-based Colt Firearms last week reportedly signaled they are exiting the consumer rifle market in coming days..."

https://www.guns.com/news/2019/09/16/colt-reportedly-to-stop-making-rifles-for-consumer-market

(From another publication)
"Colt moving away from selling ARs to civilians isn’t a sign that the company wants to stop selling guns to civilians altogether, however. Instead, the company will ramp up sales of pistols and revolvers, including its 1911 models, Cobra, King Cobra, and Single Action Army collectible series.
In a statement to NRA’s Shooting Illustrated, Colt’s senior vice president for commercial business, Paul Spitale, said that the civilian AR production cut was based on consumer feedback and a close analysis of the market’s ebbs and flows.

According to Spitale, rifles aren’t heavily favored by the civilian market, resulting in lower profit margins for Colt while the company continues to go full steam on producing rifles to fulfill outstanding military and law enforcement contracts.
The move away from the civilian market isn’t permanent, Spitale says, noting that the company would be willing to make a return to building and selling rifles to retail customers should the demand return and profit projections increase."

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-d...tedly-out-of-the-civilian-rifle-game-for-now/

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Colt has been synonymous with quality for years. The price follows suit. In the AR market there are many good options out there. Rock River makes some amazing ARs as well as others. I think they priced themselves out of the market. I'm with Dannmann.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I was never a fan. Even when they had them for 1,100 dollars back dirring the panic buying epidemic you could buy a far better quality rifle like rock river for the same price. After the demand fell off I saw the colts being advertised for $650 and they throw in 500 rounds. They can sugar coat it all they want but they cant hardly give them away today. Just far too many better quality options out there for a similar price.

Chass

The Hills
Doesnt surprise me, when someone is going out to buy that platform Colt is not a common name to come up, especially for their price point. I don't see much of that brand at all in shops either outside of the used section. Even when I'm out shooting, that's a brand that is just not prevalent. Makes sense for them to focus on whatever works.