Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Coyote baiting and trapping.

twireman

Kingston, OH
This is something I have been kicking around awhile. I know there are some die hard coyote hunters on this site. I have had very minimal success at calling coyotes in the past but I know my parents land holds a good number of them. The property is so thick it is hard to get an open shot on one. I'm thinking about trying to foothold some over bait. I have been looking over types of traps and how to set them up. Also I have been reading about different types of bait ie: carcass, scraps, dog food, sardines......

So does anybody have any pointers for someone wanting to start this hobby? Or am I wasting my time?

Thanks guys.

twireman

Kingston, OH
Found out my FIL has a handful of traps. Need to get them out and see what he has. This would allow me to get started and not have much wrapped up in it.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
twireman- I have always been told the highest percentage rate of success was with snares. Just a thought for you to check out.

twireman

Kingston, OH
Well my FIL has 4 traps that i'm going to use. Going to clean em' up and boil/ dye em' with walnuts this weekend. I'll run two at there place and two at my parents. I'll keep ya updated if I have any luck. I'm going to be using the "dirt hole set" and a bait to be decided.

Just what i needed. Another freakin' hobby :smiley_clap:

camofry

*Supporting Member*
This is something I have been kicking around awhile. I know there are some die hard coyote hunters on this site. I have had very minimal success at calling coyotes in the past but I know my parents land holds a good number of them. The property is so thick it is hard to get an open shot on one. I'm thinking about trying to foothold some over bait. I have been looking over types of traps and how to set them up. Also I have been reading about different types of bait ie: carcass, scraps, dog food, sardines......

So does anybody have any pointers for someone wanting to start this hobby? Or am I wasting my time?

Thanks guys.

If you are going to trap them you can not use bait piles unless you cover them up with dirt or brush. If you are new at this, I would start with 2 or 3 dozon snares. If you try to start out with foothold traps and you pinch a few toes, you will only make it harder on yourself tryin to get him again. You cant go wrong with the snares.

twireman

Kingston, OH
IM me a address and I will send you a couple doz coyote snares.

I truly appreciate the offer and advice camofry! Good people on this site. I actually just ordered a dozen snares this evening. Your right on educating them mangy bastards too. I have a lot more reading to do before I get out and set any traps. The internet is a mighty tool when it comes to information available. Youtube has a lot of good videos on how to set traps and such. Thanks again man.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
IM me a address and I will send you a couple doz coyote snares.
Interesting thread guys! I'm learning from it.
What do the snares look like? Can you show some picts?

I was just looking at some traps this week but passed because I need more knowledge. Glad I waited after reading your post #11 Camofry

Last edited:

badger

*Supporting Member*
Biggest thing about trapping bait piles is they will pull in all the nontargets and yotes will get keen to you at them. If you find and existing kill, deer or whatever, check out the tracks and activities from the local canines. They don't just dive right in, but are super cautious. I'd rather trap them when they are less cautious. Hanging cable in their everyday travel routes does the trick for me.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I can't wait for the snow to hit the ground. The yote around my hunting property have be stumped as to what trails they use on a consistant basis. Most times when I would come across tracks last winter they had no rhyme or reason other then just going from one field to the next. I never did come across any " Trails " rather just cut a track here and there.

I would love to get more snares to setup. Just haven't had time to order any.

badger

*Supporting Member*
I can't wait for the snow to hit the ground. The yote around my hunting property have be stumped as to what trails they use on a consistant basis. Most times when I would come across tracks last winter they had no rhyme or reason other then just going from one field to the next. I never did come across any " Trails " rather just cut a track here and there.

I would love to get more snares to setup. Just haven't had time to order any.

Adam, you need a lot of dogs to make reason of their travels here in Ohio. Snow gives them away, and us.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Adam, you need a lot of dogs to make reason of their travels here in Ohio. Snow gives them away, and us.

I can understand that one. With such open fields and woodlots they can just go as they please just as the deer do around my place. No set trails and they just wonder where they may lol. Sucks if you ask me lol. That's part of the reason for the e-caller lol. Would still love to see if I can get a few in the snare. We have a few hogs running the property. I bet the one big fella is low to mid 40's and that was at the start of deer season in September when I got him on cam.

I will post pics when I get to my home computer.

Dale, If I would have thought you had a little time in the evenings I would have called and told ya I'm just down the road a little ways from ya lol. Sitting here in Macedonia until Friday. Then I will be back up here for another week after the first of the year. I will have to look at my schedule and let you know for sure when I am back up here. Should be the second week of Jan. I think.