Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Coyote Calling Tactics

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
This year I'm planning on putting effort into coyote hunting. Our deer season closes during mid January and it seems their activity peeks between now and the end of February. Fox season is also in until the end of Feb too.

I've been reading that coyote sounds actually work better than distress calls. I have had them bark back at coyote sounds, but the only success with distress calling was for a couple foxes (just happened to be the day after the season closed).

I have also read that for eastern yotes it is better to set up inside the woods vise in an open field.

If anyone has any suggestions on what calls to use I'd appreciate the help.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I'll get back on this later, I'm in the stand now. I'm no pro by any means but my buddy and I rarely get skunked on a yote hunt.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I always start off with a female howl, a female because in my mind I think a male might be too aggressive right off the rip. One series of female howls, then usually into either a grey fox or a jackrabbit distress. I'll run a series of either one, wait a minute, and bust out a male howl series. Then back into distress, usually cottontail, or raccoon. A lot of times you'll have a yote called in by this point, if not then continue with other distress sounds until you find the one that peaks the yotes interest. In early October my buddy and I went out to a farm I hunt to call yotes. I was getting up to 5 at a time on camera. We set up 75 yards from a standing corn field where I saw one earlier in the day. I threw the kitchen sink at that bastard before she finally peaked out of the standing corn at last light. Two steps into the alfalfa after she saw the distress decoy and it was lights out. I called for 25 minutes before that yote showed itself, I knew they were there and it was only a matter of time before one came in. Point is, if you know the yotes are there, don't give up calling after 10-15 minutes. Pause for a minute or so in between series of distress calls if you want.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm getting the itch.

Chuck- I also do NOT proclaim to be an expert. I don't even claim to be good at it. Seems to me they are either in the mood or not. They are either in the area or not. Sometimes you just know they are in the area (fresh snow with fresh tracks) but they won't respond. Other times it seems as if they are on it in seconds after turning on the caller. As we get closer to February I go to more female howls and coyote vocals. Breeding season is in full swing by Feb.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I prefer.

"Here here mr coyote. I've got a deer carcass tied to this tree and a nice assortment of necklaces for you to wear. Come get your necklaces."

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I would love to snare, but the properties I hunt are too far away to check snares.

I always start off with a female howl, a female because in my mind I think a male might be too aggressive right off the rip. One series of female howls, then usually into either a grey fox or a jackrabbit distress. I'll run a series of either one, wait a minute, and bust out a male howl series. Then back into distress, usually cottontail, or raccoon. A lot of times you'll have a yote called in by this point, if not then continue with other distress sounds until you find the one that peaks the yotes interest. In early October my buddy and I went out to a farm I hunt to call yotes. I was getting up to 5 at a time on camera. We set up 75 yards from a standing corn field where I saw one earlier in the day. I threw the kitchen sink at that bastard before she finally peaked out of the standing corn at last light. Two steps into the alfalfa after she saw the distress decoy and it was lights out. I called for 25 minutes before that yote showed itself, I knew they were there and it was only a matter of time before one came in. Point is, if you know the yotes are there, don't give up calling after 10-15 minutes. Pause for a minute or so in between series of distress calls if you want.

Do you hunt daylight or after dark?

NWOHhunter

NW Ohio
I went out last night,started at 10pm and on our last stop at midnight. We had a yote to The west of us open up as we set up, I walked a ways down the field and then one opened up by me about. 150-200yds on the old railroad bed, probably munching on that pot belly pig. I just as I sat down I decided to shine my light down towards the dump and I look to my right and 80yds (only took my shotgun [emoji35])there is one standing there looking at me ...caller had been on a total of two seconds. The bastard wasn’t coming any closer and was trying to get down wind! I squeezed a shot off and had a hit but it took off away from me and I gave one more attempt but lost it in the darkness. As we walked back to look for my yote a pack opened up a section to the north of us so we went up there but couldn’t locate them. It was getting late and I had to get to bed for work lol!

Lesson learned= always bring both guns!!! Live and learn