Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Coyote help

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I have a few days off this week and with the change in the weather (and my deer season being over) I want to take out some coyotes. I have gotten a few photos of coyotes on one of the 2 trail cams I've been running this year. However we've heard them on all parts of the farm. There is a part of the farm where we take calves and such that die and the coyotes are not regularly eating on them, in fact you can tell some of the carcasses are not touched. However, where we drop the deer skins or bones or gut piles are gone or tore apart within days. Last winter the coyotes aggravated some of the cows a bit so there's a little pressure from the in-laws to take care of a few.

I don't have the time to run a trap line because I couldn't get to it daily nor do I know where the coyotes are running.
I have some pics of coyotes, but not regular pics.
My in-laws don't hear the coyotes every night so I'm guessing they are moving around.
I've only killed coyotes when I've seen them deer or turkey hunting, not called one in yet.
I've went out some nights and called locater howls on the foxpro or the sirens and not regularly gotten howls back.

I have a foxpro caller (I have all the free sounds from the foxpro website, so more than the basics) and a motion decoy and a montana decoy coyote decoy.

I have good access to all parts of the farm so I can play the wind to my advantage, just may have to use gates or cross fences depending on the route. I have camo and firearms to cover the ranges I can see.

I've had birds of prey take out my motion decoy (why I'm on my 2nd) but not seen any coyotes yet while calling.

There are some idiot hunters in the area that have probably educated the coyotes.

Suggestions? Suggested call routines? Help?

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Are you hunting them during the day or at night?
I've done mainly during day or at dusk. My calling attempts to locate them have been at night (siren, coyote locator howls).

I've borrowed a buddy's thermal and I have a red light that can light up a raccoon eyes at over 300 yards so I was planning some night hunts.

OO2

In the Uplands
Thermal seems to be the best bet for night action. I know of guys that set up in thick stuff with shotguns during the day to try to call them in. Easier than calling them into open field.

Best of luck to you. Keep us updated!