Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Coyotes busting my turkey decoys!

While sitting in my ground blind this morning, a coyote came busting out of the woods. I was set up on the outside edge of the woods, facing a CRP field. There was a jake, then 2 hen decoys, leading away from my blind.

Suddenly, about 7:20, a coyote busted out of the woods on a line to attack the lead hen. The closer it got to the decoys, it started looking left and right, like it was anticipating them to flush or run. When the coyote got face to face with the decoy, it bounced back and ran off to the way it came.

I've been using my bow, so it turned out to be a "fire drill" on how quick I need to be ready to take a shot. I really wanted to kill this coyote and was upset over not being able to pick the bow off of the hanger, come to full draw and get lined up quicker. Definitely a scenario for the use of a shotgun!

Anyone else having coyotes running in on your decoy spread?

Bowhunter57

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I bet that got your blood pumping!

I think it's pretty common for turkey hunters to have encounters with coyotes in the spring. The obnoxious calling, the highly visible decoys... It's just too tempting for coyotes to resist, assuming the wind is in your favor. I had a close call with one this morning too. Unfortunately I didn't shoot because it was early and I was worried about ruining my chances at a gobbler.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Had one come in and bite a inflatable hen decoy about 15 years ago in Jersey. When it popped, the coyote took off tail tucked like satan himself was on his ass. I also passed a shot for fear of ruining my chances with a gobbler that was responding to my calls.....and no, I didn’t end up killing the tom. Hind sight is 20/20.😂

I also passed a shot for fear of ruining my chances with a gobbler that was responding to my calls.....and no, I didn’t end up killing the tom. Hind sight is 20/20.😂
Sgt Fury,
Turkeys aren't that smart. Next time blast the coyote and enjoy the kill. The turkeys will be around soon.
Three years ago, I shot a tom turkey that was coming in with 2 hens and the hens just looked around like "what was that?" and eventually wondered off.

I bet that got your blood pumping!

I think it's pretty common for turkey hunters to have encounters with coyotes in the spring. The obnoxious calling, the highly visible decoys... It's just too tempting for coyotes to resist, assuming the wind is in your favor. I had a close call with one this morning too. Unfortunately I didn't shoot because it was early and I was worried about ruining my chances at a gobbler.
jagermeister,
Yes, my blood was pumping pretty fast. I wasn't pleased with my lack of quick response, but I'll be ready for it the next time.
As for spooking turkeys with a shot, I wouldn't worry about it and take the shot at the coyote anyway. If anything, the shot will cause the toms to "shock gobble" in response to the loud noise and give away his position. I've had them come in after a shot.

Bowhunter57

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
It seems like coyotes are pretty common in the spring .
Two yrs ago my buddy that I hunt with alot had one snatch his avian x hen by the neck right off the stake and try running off with it . Before it realized it's mistake a load of hevi shot ended it's reign of terror .