Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

CVA Optima and White Hots

I purchased a CVA Optima V2 Long Range, in 50 caliber. The paperwork that came with it, recommends Power Belt bullets and White Hots powder pellets. I have yet to find the IMR brand White Hots powder pellets, but I've just begun my search.

Many years ago, I had a CVA Optima Pro, which is very similar to this model. I tried shooting Hornady and Barns bullets out of it and the accuracy was a "no go". 🚫 When I got back home I took the time to read the paperwork that came with the ML rifle and wouldn't you know they recommend Power Belts. I picked up a pack and they shot amazing groups. 🙂

In the box with this rifle, it recommends White Hots for optimum accuracy. 🤔 Before I buy several packages of Pyrodex and 777 (if I can't find the White Hots), does anyone own one of these ML rifles?

Bowhunter57
CVA Optima LR.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I shoot an optima pro V2 with a green mountain barrel. 150 gr of 777 and a Hornady 240 gr XTP HP in a black mag sabot is the best combo I found. Absolute tack driver. Combined with a Nikon BDC I have no qualms with a 250-yard shot providing I range it.

Every powerbelt I've ever shot a deer with absolutely exploded like a frangible bullet. After finding bits of copper behind the grinder plate and having to throw out a fully processed deer I quit shooting them. I generously cut out any bloodshot meat but that bullet must have sent shrapnel throughout that deer's entire front half.

A1497.jpg

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
@OO2
Do you prefer loose powder, over pellets? 🤔 If so, why?
I shot pellets, but it was over a decade ago. 🙄 I've mostly been shooting sidelocks and loose powder.

I may be making the drive to Bass Pro, tomorrow, to buy some powder and primers.
I don't have a CVA i shoot a TC Omega. I prefer blackhorn 209 because it cleans up like a modern rifle. It's worth the premium to me.

Loose allows you to work up a load and mine like 110gr, can't do that load with pellets.

If you do 777 get the 777 primers, significantly less crud ring near the breech plug in my experience.

OO2

In the Uplands
I don't have a CVA i shoot a TC Omega. I prefer blackhorn 209 because it cleans up like a modern rifle. It's worth the premium to me.

Loose allows you to work up a load and mine like 110gr, can't do that load with pellets.

If you do 777 get the 777 primers, significantly less crud ring near the breech plug in my experience.
This…the 777 was no fun to clean. Not that follow-up shots are easy to get on a deer but my 2nd / 3rd shots were poor. I didn’t want to sight in for a dirty barrel.

if you go loose you may need to order another breech plug from cva unless things have changed

Last edited:
Reactions: Isaacorps

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
I also used 777 and say it was not fun cleaning. Switched to Blackhorn a few years ago, will never look back. There's a good thread on it here for your reading.

Last edited:
Okay....I'm convinced on the use of Blackhorn 209 powder or at least loose powder. 👍
I've owned sidelock muzzleloaders over the years and always used loose powder like Goex, Pyrodex, etc. Plus, I reload for all my cartridge rifles, so I understand the importance of getting a specific load that works in a particular rifle. 🙂

Next question: Where do I find the Blackhorn 209 powder, to buy it? 🤔
Also, will standard Federal or Winchester 209 primers get the job done?

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Okay....I'm convinced on the use of Blackhorn 209 powder or at least loose powder. 👍
I've owned sidelock muzzleloaders over the years and always used loose powder like Goex, Pyrodex, etc. Plus, I reload for all my cartridge rifles, so I understand the importance of getting a specific load that works in a particular rifle. 🙂

Next question: Where do I find the Blackhorn 209 powder, to buy it? 🤔
Also, will standard Federal or Winchester 209 primers get the job done?
I've seen it at Walmart, Fin Father Fur, and cabelas/bass pro. I use the federal 209 primers that come in the blue box with no issues.

If you want to go down the rabbit hole a little further read the other black powder articles on the chuck hawks site.

I run blackhorn 209, then a 240 gr xtp mag. I found that on close shots i was getting some jacket separation with the normal xtp's (250gr). (https://www.chuckhawks.com/underrated_hornady_XTP.htm) They fit differently with my sabots so i ordered different trial packs from MMP until i got the fit I liked.
So i buy my powder, and then bullets and sabots separately. My brother and father each prefer the TC Shockwaves that come in a blister pack. Last time we compare prices I'm at 1/3 their cost, but i had a little bit more up front trialing things and definitely more time invested.

I made the trip to Fin Feather Fur, in Rossford and was able to get the White Hots (@Hedgelj is gonna hate me 🙄 ), a couple of 100 packs of CCI 209 primers and a package of Hornady SST 300 gr. bullets....in case the Powerbelt bullets don't shoot accurately. 🙂 If the White Hots don't work to my liking, I'll try some 777 pellets and work with the loads more next spring.
I'm going to keep looking for the Blackhorn 209 powder and switch to it....if I can find it. 🤔 If nothing else, the NMLRA Rendezvous is in June, at Friendship, Indiana and I may be able to find it there.

The weather channel shows things warming up and the wind settling down, so I can put in some decent range time and see how this weapon shoots. :cool:

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I made the trip to Fin Feather Fur, in Rossford and was able to get the White Hots (@Hedgelj is gonna hate me 🙄 ), a couple of 100 packs of CCI 209 primers and a package of Hornady SST 300 gr. bullets....in case the Powerbelt bullets don't shoot accurately. 🙂 If the White Hots don't work to my liking, I'll try some 777 pellets and work with the loads more next spring.
I'm going to keep looking for the Blackhorn 209 powder and switch to it....if I can find it. 🤔 If nothing else, the NMLRA Rendezvous is in June, at Friendship, Indiana and I may be able to find it there.

The weather channel shows things warming up and the wind settling down, so I can put in some decent range time and see how this weapon shoots. :cool:
No hate, i just provide information either from sources or my experience. If you're successful with them great!

Reactions: Bowhunter57

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
@Hedgelj
I appreciate the information and it will get put to good use. 👍 I'm still searching for the Blackhorn 209 powder. I feel like the loose powder would allow me to work up a load that would be specific to this rifle/bullet combination. 💯
Anyone able to hillbilly express some to him? I have plenty and am seeking to send him one at normal cost if someone can get it to him.

I spent some time at the rifle range with my CVA Optima LR and was pleasantly surprised with its' performance. :cool:
I ended up shooting 2 White Hots with a Hornady SST 300 gr. bullet and it worked out better than I'd hoped. 1 1/8" groups at 100 yards. 👍 The best part was the trigger. 💯 I've squeezed my share of custom triggers and a few of factory "special" triggers, but the trigger in this ML was the best I've ever laid a finger on. I tried, but could NOT discern when it was going to break and it surprised me every time. I'd have to put a trigger scale on it, but it felt like a 2# pull. 🤔