Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

CWD OH – Effective August 1, 2018 New Deer Restrictions

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Thursday, 23 August 2018 14:36

Effective August 1st, 2018

• if you hunt outside Ohio, you must bone out the meat before returning to the state with an elk, mule deer, white-tailed deer, caribou, or moose. Only the following parts may be brought into Ohio:
    • Meat with no part of the spinal column or head attached;
    • Meat that is boned out, securely and completely wrapped either commercially or privately;
    • Cleaned hides with no heads attached;
    • Skull plates that have been cleaned of all meat and brain tissue;
    • Antlers with no meat or tissue attached;
    • Cleaned upper canine teeth;
    • Hides and capes without any part of the head or lymph nodes attached; or
    • Finished taxidermy mounts.
  • Moving to a complete ban simplifies import rules for hunters traveling out of state and reduces the risk of introducing CWD into Ohio.
Rules Governing Interstate Transport of High-risk Cervid Carcass Parts

READ MORE: http://cwd-info.org/oh-effective-august-1-2018-new-deer-restrictions/

Chass

The Hills
Really gonna affect those on the harvest during the last day of an out of state hunt. Will either have to extend their vacation or drop them off within Ohio and come back for them/have it shipped out. I've gotten some calls asking about it from my lease guys. It's a pain but it makes sense. I foresee it resulting in some waste for those that take one late and have to get on the road.
Giles, I'm sure as long as you have proof of harvest you are fine. No proof of harvest date and a visit from ODNR, who knows what could happen and results will vary depending on the officer I'm sure. But I've not seen anything where this change is anything but for now/future. No requests to dispose of anything already here.

Chass

The Hills
I wonder how much this will effect non resident license sales in some neighboring states. I'm guessing it has to have some negative effect.
I'd bet very little. It's a minor inconvenience and you have plenty of time still to get your ducks in a row and be prepared before you travel. Most of the guys I have talked to that are in this boat already made their plans to travel. Those I know coming to Ohio, they have been calling asking me who in the area is good to go to for taxidermy. The biggest change I have seen is that more are going to opt to donate the meat.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
I stayed up late Saturday and skinned my deer out. Capped the skull. But with them saying antlers with no meat or tissue attached are they considering velvet a tissue?

Reactions: Mike

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
I stayed up late Saturday and skinned my deer out. Capped the skull. But with them saying antlers with no meat or tissue attached are they considering velvet a tissue?
I would imagine they mean no meat or brain tissue, that would be logical but in this day and age, logic sometimes takes a back seat. I haven’t seen any mention of velvet....however, they did mention “tissue”...so that may be a sticking point.

Chass

The Hills
I would call and ask, if they say you can bring velvet back I'd request to have that in writing/email so you have the source in case it ends up biting you in the ass at a future date.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina

Antlers with no meat or TISSUE, tissue would be the ? Velvet considered tissue? I’d imagine since it bleeds it would be...... But I’ve been known to be wrong... 🦌😂

Last edited: