Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Daughter Arrow Advice

I know I'm doing a lot of this ass backwards but it ended up being the only way we could make it a surprise. My wife and I got my daughter a Quest (G5) Storm bow to give her for Christmas. It is very adjustable: 23-27 1/2" draw and 30-60 lb. draw weight. She is 16 and isn't quite done growing yet so we wanted the adjustability. We wanted to get her arrow shafts and all the supplies to fletch them the way she has wanted. Not knowing for sure what her actual draw length is or what her final draw weight might be by next deer season I don't know what to do when it comes to the actual arrow shafts. I figure she will likely be at around 40-45 lbs. starting out and maybe break the 50 lb. mark by summer. Draw length should be around 24 1/2 I'm guessing.

What would you guys do?

The main color she wants all the accents to be are blue. The bow has several things with the blue in it so I was looking a little for arrows and Carbon Express Maxima Blue Streak was the first to pop up. Hate like hell to spend that kind of money and find out she is shooting too heavy or too light of weight for what spine I got. Any other thoughts for arrow brands that may have blue accents to them?

I should add her old arrows will be way too short. They will be sticking with her old bow that had a 21" (pretty sure) draw and be used by my son. We do have my wife's arrows that she could use for a while to get by until we are 100% sure on most everything. With that we could hold off on the arrow shafts for now if we had to.

I'm not any type of expert, so this is just me. I'd get arrows about an 1" to 2" longer than her draw is now, as long as it's not ungodly long when full draw that should accommodate for the length issues. And maybe like a 500 spine arrow. If you think at some point she will be going to the heavier end of that scale (55-60 lbs) you could always just get a spine up like 400's cuz it's easier to tune a stiffer spine than a weak spine. I've always been happy with Easton Axis arrows but have shot the Easton Aftermaths and they shoot well and won't break the bank. Just my 2 cents.

Thank you for the reply BSO!! We ended up not getting her arrows for now. Figure she can use my wife's for a little while until we get a better idea of where she is at draw length and draw weight. I'm leaning towards what you say on going with the stiffer spine like you recommend. Will check out both Easton arrows you mention as the archery shop closest to work carries Easton.