Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deer Shanks.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
What does everyone do with them? As a person who prefers to remove as much fat and silver skin as possible from his ground meat, these have always posed issues. They're way more work than the measly amount of meat they provide if you're gonna trim all that out. So what do you do with them? Throw them in with the ground, trim them out, throw em to the dog?

I'm sure somewhere a native American is shaking his head in disapproval but I'm to the point that I just throw them out with the trim meat.

Jamie

Ohio
either save them in as large of pieces as you can and braise them or chunk them up and pressure can. these are one of the tastiest parts of a deer, and all that connective tissue (collagen) is flavorful and good for you. I always segregate them for canning. just like Fox squirrels, surely mother nature made these for the canner.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
My cousin always said it was the best part of the deer. Even got me to save them one year but I never ate them. He would braise them also then put in a roaster and cook for like three hours( not sure about time).

Reactions: Jackalope and giles
I often wondered if you could throw them in a crockpot and cook them all day if things would separate well and make a good meal.

I know a few recommended to pressure canning them before but now that I’m thinking about it I’m not sure if you can throw the bone in as well or do you separate it from the bone to do that?

Bluefinn

Portage Co.
I often wondered if you could throw them in a crockpot and cook them all day if things would separate well and make a good meal.

I know a few recommended to pressure canning them before but now that I’m thinking about it I’m not sure if you can throw the bone in as well or do you separate it from the bone to do that?
Cut the shank in a few pieces right through the bone. Crock pot for 6 or 7 hours. The bone marrow gives it a great flavor. Osso buco is made with veal witch is very similar to deer. You would never believe there was all that sinew & gristle in there. It melts down to a velvety smooth texture. I cringe when I think of all the shanks I pretty much wasted in the past.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
You guys have given me some ideas. I usually grind everything except the backstraps and inner loins.