Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Definition question

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
So I have access to land to hunt in Kentucky, had a great time there during the gun season.
One of the things that intrigued me about KY is that their gun season for "Modern Firearms" means that you can use most any gun or rifle, any caliber.
I got a chance to hunt with my 30-30, which was cool. I was also going to hunt with my Mosin Nagant, but the KY rules say "no FMJ ammunition".
All of the ammo I have for that is currently FMJ surplus ammo. I have the 7.62x54R dies, so I can work up a load that's not FMJ this year, no problem.
But here's my question: Would a copper solid bullet (hollow point) be considered full metal jacket (FMJ)? I'm thinking it would.

I'm researching reloading for my new 450 Bushmaster, got the dies and some 250gr Hornady bullets on order. But the bullets are shitty expensive ($35 for 50) and I been looking at other options, one thing I saw on Youtube was for a copper solid.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Copper hunting bullets are not FMJ.
7.62x54 uses .311 bullets as opposed to .308 bullets that your .30-30 or most other American .30 cals use. Pretty much any .311 soft point 150-180 grain bullet will from Hornady, Speer, Sierra will do the job.

Last edited:
Dannmann801,
I reload for my Ruger American in 450 Bushmaster. I use a 250 gr. Hornady FTX bullet with 39.5 grains of Lil'Gun, which produces 2550 fps. I sight in with a 150 yard zero, which puts me 1.2" high at 100 yards and 2.2" low at 200 yards. My rifle is the 22" barrel model, not the 18" barrel carbine.

Hodgdon's Reloading Data pages says that 38.5 grains is a Max Load @ 2289 fps. However, my primers don't show any signs of pressure at the 39.5 grain stage....PLUS, it produces 1 hole with 5 shots at 100 yards. (y) I've never had a large bore rifle that was this accurate.
Also, I know a guy in southern Ohio that loads 41 grains @ 2700 fps. Whatever you feel comfortable with loading. :unsure:
http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, I'd be glad to help.
Bowhunter57

Reactions: Ohiosam

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Interesting that a solid copper bullet isn't FMJ. Maybe if it had a solid point and wasn't a HP, then would it be FMJ? Or is the problem the J, which would make no sense. What if a guy cut the nose off a FMJ. Bahhh. Malarkey.