Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Diablo 2016

Diablo54

Outside
We are only a few weeks in and I've got a lot of catching up to do with this thread. My season started in the middle of summer. Running cameras on mineral sites and fields looking for familiar deer. At first it was very unsuccessful. But as fall came closer and closer I started finding bucks. The buck that I hunted last year up and disappeared around mid November. He was here all year round for the last three years. Now I have not seen him in several months. I hung some stands for kayla and put cameras out trying to figure out what her options where this year. She had some close calls last year but was not able to seal the deal on a buck. After a few weeks of running cams around the house we saw that she had several options on deer that where big enough for her to try to hunt. Including the buck that she named lopsided 2 years ago. He is an old deer but doesn't show much in the rack department.

Some of the others that I know she would willingly fling an arrow at.

Diablo54

Outside
I was running cameras on 3 properties trying to find something to hunt early season. I found a lot of nice deer but one really stuck out to me.

Diablo54

Outside
Season got closer and this buck was running this ridge top like a bad habit. Not every evening before dark. But 75% of the time he was moving through in shooting light.

Diablo54

Outside
Season got closer and his daylight movement slowed down. But he was still moving before dark occasionally according to my camera.

Opening day was here and he was 2/7 that week for walking by the camera in daylight. I took the Saturday off work and had butterflies in my stomach looking at the wind and weather.

Diablo54

Outside
The wind was wrong but right. Blowing down the right side of the ridge towards him. But not exactly in his face. I elected to hunt him and see what happened. 30 min into the hunt the ridge was full of turkeys. After they went over the hill a coyote ran across the top with a squirrel in his mouth at 30 yards. Before I could get a shot he was all but gone. As the hunt dwindled down I questioned myself for hunting with that wind direction. But my day dreams became reality when I heard leaves slowly crunching and looked up to see 3 bucks coming my way browsing on acorns.

Diablo54

Outside
Sure enough it was him and two of his buddies. The smaller bucks walked right by at 20 yards. He locked up on the trail that the coyote crossed and would not move. The buck I was after was at 30 yards well before dark and adrenaline was taking over. He would not cross the line the coyote made. But he calmly ate acorns walking back and forth on the ridge. A doe came right under me and stood there until dark. He never moved from that area. Well after dark I started climbing down and heard the Doe run off. I snuck back to my truck excited and disappointed at the same time.

Diablo54

Outside
I talked to my dad and told him what had happened. I told him that Sunday evening I was going to the tree that he locked up at and would sit there. That next evening the wind had changed direction but was still good for my spot. 45 minutes in I had 5 does walk by at 15 yards. A little while later I had a small buck do the same. 30 minutes before dark I could hear leaves crunching coming my way. Sure enough here came the two bucks that where running with him the night before. I looked and looked and only saw 2 coming. They walked directly under me and I continued to look behind them waiting on him to show. After 10 minutes of them behind me I heard another deer coming from my left and slightly behind my tree. I looked over my shoulder slowly because of all the eyes that where around me. Sure enough he had circled and was at 20 yards sticking his head out of the brush checking out the ridge before stepping into the open.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The suspense. . . Is killing me!

Some real nice bucks this year Taylor. Good luck to you and K.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Dude that was low lmao.... Always leave them wanting more lol....

Taylor you e got some good ones that's for sure buddy....

Diablo54

Outside
So now he was at 20 yards walking slowly behind me. I moved ever so slowly trying not to give up my position to the other deer. I finally got turned and he was still moving through. At 20 yards I started to put pressure on the string but realized that my chances with my body position and the amount of darkness where slim. I let the pressure off and half smiled and half cussed knowing that he had won again. As I was watching him behind me another buck walked right under me. A nice 10 but not as nice as him. After that I sat down and did not move for 45 minutes in the darkness. I switched that cards in the camera on my way out. And to my disappointment this is what I got that evening. You can see me walk in. Then him walk in. Then him run away and a minute later me switching cards.

Diablo54

Outside
I decided to stay out of there for a week. The next Friday evening the wind was right and i figured that with the 5 days he had to cool off he may be back into his old habits after the scare. I slipped into my spot and decided to sit where I did Saturday night. I grabbed the card out of the camera and climbed up. Reviewing the weeks pictures I saw that he was back in the daylight 2 days before that.

But on the other hand another buck was making an appearance quite often as well. Not as big, but a nice deer imo.

I grabbed my cell phone and was trying to type that I was in the stand on the live from the stand thread when I heard footsteps to my right. Figuring it was a doe I never stood up or put my phone away. A few seconds later chocolate colored tines caught my eye.

Diablo54

Outside
It was the narrow ten point and he was coming fast. 2 other small bucks where with him. I was stuck and could not move. The thought of shooting him crossed my mind and would not leave. I kept picturing the bigger deer. But at the same time was also taken back to not harvesting a deer last year. He was now broadside at ten yards and I was caught with my pants down. Finally a doe came slipping in behind him. Instincts took over and as he turned to check her out grabbed my bow. He moved towards her and then came back giving me a broadside shot at 10 yards. I picked a spot and drew my bow. I remember holding my anchor and staring at the spot behind his shoulder. The sting slipped out of my fingers like it was supposed to and I watched as my arrow buried into the buck taking the tuft of hair I was watching with it.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Oh lord, you make me sick. I apologize that you have so many great deer to choose from. (SARCASM) LOL. Way to be man. Good luck this year. :)