Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Diaphragm calls for predators

Creamer

Athens
I used some Amazon gift card money from the holidays to grab this Foxpro howler I'd been wanting to try. I mainly wanted it for the latex reed howler, and I gave little thought to the diaphragm.

I have never been comfortable with diaphragms for turkeys so I just assumed I wouldn't like this either. Then I tried it. Holy cow that thing sounds great. I got comfortable with it really quick and using the megaphone/horn from the call to amplify it gets pretty good volume. I liked it so much I hopped on eBay last night and found/ordered the Foxpro 3-pack with an additional howler, pup distress, and cottontail diaphragms. The one I have been scaring the neighbors with is their Smoking Gun howler.

Anybody else using diaphragm calls for predators?

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Yes, as soon as one hit the market, I bought one. I have the others as well and love them. It's all I use pretty much nowadays, unless I have too many things going on, then I'll use the e-caller, which is typically night/dark sets. Let me restate that, I use both @night/dark, it all depends on the set and/or situation, but the little ones always go with me every time. Again, I like them and use the crap out of them. I even take them with me deer hunting if I know there is a high likelihood of encountering coyotes. Usually stays in my field gear bag or bib pocket all deer season long.

Last edited:
Reactions: Creamer

Creamer

Athens
Yes, as soon as one hit the market, I bought one. I have the others as well and love them. It's all I use pretty much nowadays, unless I have too many things going on, then I'll use the e-caller, which is typically night/dark sets. Let me restate that, I use both @night/dark, it all depends on the set and/or situation, but the little ones always go with me every time. Again, I like them and use the crap out of them. I even take them with me deer hunting if I know there is a high likelihood of encountering coyotes. Usually stays in my field gear bag or bib pocket all deer season long.

Great idea to carry them deer hunting, they'd take up practically no space in a pack.

Reactions: Wildlife

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Yeah, here you go. I tried to round them up. I still have others, diaphragms too, that are either in my pickup why I scout often around here, I'm willing to bet that's where they are, but the one wooden one I made, and I do recall sharing the other one I made I think on one of your threads a couple of years ago, IDK :unsure:

Anyhow, like I said, to reduce hike/haul weight, I try to pack lite as possibly, and try to get into the thick of them around my parts. Usually just me, the rifle, and a couple of hand calls, plus a diaphragm, which I need to start practicing once again since I intend to get out real soon, so thank you, for reminding me 😂 The diaphragms I use mainly to get them to stop because I'm not very good yet with it, but I'm working on it when I can. Trust me, my dogs can attest to that :ROFLMAO:

20230103_084954.jpg
20230103_085643.jpg

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Just so you know because I do recall that you hunt coyotes too, I have been eyeballing the FoxPro digital e-caller for quite sometime, and their competitors as well, and have not pulled the trigger yet because I believe I do extremely well with all my hand and mouth callers.

I know I've stated this before, but man, I can't think of any better kind of fun hunting for me around here, then hunting those damn yotes, Trying to out wit one is just a blast, epecially when you can put them down. I absolutely love it. A lot of my yote hunts are spot and stalk too, Just a blast!

Reactions: Hedgelj

Creamer

Athens
This was my lanyard from the calling sets I did before Christmas. It needs pared down, a lot. I made all of them minus the Primos KiYi. They aren't heavy, just made more noise clanging into each other than I'd like. I had to be really careful taking them out of my pack. With the diaphragm calls I'll easily be able to reduce the number of calls I have out on the lanyard.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
I ain't gonna lie, your thread has me totally pumped as I start to go into coyote killin mode. I'll be focusing on everything about them over the next few months and I already can't wait to get after them. I wish that I had a good partner though because two killers around here could do a lot damage and cleanup I'm sure of it. We'd totally clean house!

I went back through some recent past photos of mine, and I came up with a few of some of my yote hunting goodies, which includes what I have on my lanyard, and most of the weapons that I use to kill them with, which doesn't include my 12g semi-auto filled with federals #4 buckshot or any of the compounds.

I do a lot of hiking during the months of January through April around my area. I have approximately 2,000 acres of prime coyote hunting grounds to cover each year.

The more time afield chasing them, the more I learn about them, and I feel that I have a real good grasp on how to hunt them and believe that I get better at hunting them each new year.

I find that this kind of hunting suites me and is extremely exhilarating, especially when there's an opportunity of getting a double, which I'm still trying to make that happen. I almost got a couple last year.

Good luck to you this year! Kill them all!!

20210323_150454.jpg
20220210_150148.jpg
20221008_164942.jpg

20220223_173653.jpg
20220209_140858.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Creamer

Creamer

Athens
Good mail day on Saturday. I've been wanting to try some of the MFK diaphragms and finally pulled the trigger.

I picked up their Howler Pack with three calls and one of their rabbit distress diaphragms. They sound really, really good. MFK had done a call tuning YouTube video that helped me a lot. I took their howlers and trimmed a little tape off of them and lightly bent the frame to take a little tension off the reed and they sound incredible (to me). I'm going to hit the woods with them tomorrow and see what happens.