Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Doe Tag Loop Hole?

A couple of weeks ago, a guy I know was talking with a GW at a gun show. He was telling the GW that he had shot a buck and his doe tags weren't going to be any good for Zone B, when the Deer Gun Season started.

The GW said that's not true. He told the guy that he could still purhase a Special Deer Tag (for either sex), at $24 and use it to take a doe. Granted it's not a $15 antlerless tag and you'll have to spend $24, but you can still hunt and take another doe.

If this is true, I've got half a notion to purchase another tag, to put more meat in the freezer. Perhaps, I should e-mail the ODNR office to get clarification.
Does anyone else understand or interpret the law this way? :smiley_confused_vra

Thank you, Bowhunter57

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
You get two 24 dollar either sex tags in Zone B. Buck and Doe.. Or two does.

You also get two 15 dollar antlerless tags.. That expired Yesterday for zone B.......

Now the giant loophole is this..... I still have a 15 dollar tag in my pocket... It is expired in B... It is still good in C through gun season........ How many guys are going to shoot a doe this week in B and say screw wasting that tag and telecheck it in C...

After gun season I will email the ODNR asking for antlerless tag usage in Zone C last year and this year during gun season... I bet anything the numbers go up as guys check deer they killed in A or B in at zone C so they can use that tag...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yes, it's true. In zone B, you are allowed two (2) deer with the $24 special deer permits and two (2) deer with the early anterless permits... for a season total of four (4) deer in zone B. The early anterless permits are not valid after 11/27/2011. So if he already shot a buck, yes he has one special deer permit remaining.

edit... Joe beat me to it. And yes I agree with you Joe... I'd also be willing to bet those zone C anterless tags go through the roof this season. Before it was mostly just the guys that hunted adjacent to zone C counties... Now with telecheck, anyone could claim a zone C deer from anywhere in the state. Should be interesting.....

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
How does that apply to Land Owners in zone B ?
(as of today foward)
I did not even go out w/ my bow but may hunt all week

After reading you guys' replies, I reread the regs and realized that I have to purchase 2 $24 tags and 2 $15 tags to get the 4 deer for Zone B.

All along (my fault for not reading the regs) I had thought that I could purchase 1 $24 tag for a buck and purchase 3 $15 tags for the other 3 does. Wrong! I'm glad that I posted this and even more glad that you guys pointed out the regulations' directions. Fortunately...I guess, my deer season has sucked this year and I've yet to kill anything.

Just the same... Having to purchase 2 $24 tags is the ODNR putting the screws to us, when my previously conceived notion would be the proper way to handle the tagging situation. Nuts! :smiley_arrogant: No big suprise!

Without talking to a GW, I would have to assume that 2 $24 tags are the purchasing limit. In other words, I can not purchase 4 $24 tags to get the 4 deer limit for Zone B.

Bowhunter57

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
How does that apply to Land Owners in zone B ?
(as of today foward)
I did not even go out w/ my bow but may hunt all week

Landowners follow the same rules, except they don't have to buy the tags of course. You can shoot all four before 11/27/2011, or shoot two anterless deer before and two deer after 11/27/2011. You cannot shoot all four deer (in zone B) AFTER 11/27/2011. Keep in mind these rules do not apply to urban hunting zones.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
U wanna discuss this......the way I read it u can use 3 24$ tags in C AND2 in zone B...as long as only one is a antlered.

FredT

SE Ohio
Interesting observation. I see your point. I do not think that is their intent but that is not how it is worded.

FredT

SE Ohio
A couple of weeks ago, a guy I know was talking with a GW at a gun show. He was telling the GW that he had shot a buck and his doe tags weren't going to be any good for Zone B, when the Deer Gun Season started.

The GW said that's not true. He told the guy that he could still purhase a Special Deer Tag (for either sex), at $24 and use it to take a doe. Granted it's not a $15 antlerless tag and you'll have to spend $24, but you can still hunt and take another doe.

If this is true, I've got half a notion to purchase another tag, to put more meat in the freezer. Perhaps, I should e-mail the ODNR office to get clarification.
Does anyone else understand or interpret the law this way? :smiley_confused_vra

Thank you, Bowhunter57

The fact that the "antlerless" tags will not be valid in zone B come gun season is true. That fact that you can go and buy a second "either or" tag for gun season is also true.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
It say in the regulations" Deer zone bag limits are separate and do not impact hunting in other deer zones" . Pretty straight forward to me.

Last edited:

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Oh, gotcha. I don't think u hafta stop at 6 statewide, U can shoot whatever each zones limit is.

Last edited:

loose_is_fast

McClure
if you want to travel you can shoot 12 deer in ohio. 2 in zone a, four in zone b, and six in zone c. i live in henry county and it is zone b,i also hunt wood county and it is zone a. last year i shot five deer legally.three in henry and 2 in wood. all zones are seperate.

loose_is_fast

McClure
now before i catch flack for shooting five deer my family eats deer all year round. I process myself and belive it or not we ran out of meat in early september.Naturally i harvested these deer on more than two properties, so i do not offset my deer herd.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
if you want to travel you can shoot 12 deer in ohio. 2 in zone a, four in zone b, and six in zone c. i live in henry county and it is zone b,i also hunt wood county and it is zone a. last year i shot five deer legally.three in henry and 2 in wood. all zones are seperate.

You can shoot more than that I think you can shoot 7 more in Urban zones... And BTW guys if I'm not mistaken 15 dollar tags are goo until the end of season in urban and DNR controlled hunts.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Exactly right Joe on the Urban and controlled hunts....Zone B hunter here, 2 antlerless tags filled, one buck tag today, so that leaves me with one either sex doe tag left :)

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
What I find frustrating is the $15 tag I bought online which stated good until Feb. Sure it is. I bought it within the last two weeks. Now if I want to shoot a doe, I have to go buy another $24 tag. BS if you ask me.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
What I find frustrating is the $15 tag I bought online which stated good until Feb. Sure it is. I bought it within the last two weeks. Now if I want to shoot a doe, I have to go buy another $24 tag. BS if you ask me.

Not to sound like a dick or anything Phil, but the rules for the $15 tags have been the same for the past few years. That's the risk you take when you buy a tag with a shelf life.