Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Dog Training Collar...

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Looking to get a training collar for my dog. What should I look for when shopping? Name brands to stay away from? That sort of thing...

Also, if you or know of someone that has one laying around to get rid of please let me know. I wanna buy it and not borrow it just in case I need it for a bit.

Thanks all...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have a Tritronics for Hank. I believe the model is called the Classic Series 70 or something similar. It works well, but lacks one feature I would not be without were I to do it over. It does not have a beeper. Often with Hank, just putting the collar on him is all it takes. It is rare to need to use "the button" anymore. I wish I had the ability to beep as a warning first. If I had the beeper button, I don't believe I would need the "shock" button.

FWIW, I had to give $200 for mine used. If bought thru Craigslist or similar I would have never paid this much. I bought mine thru a friend that had used it personally and is reputable. In fact, I also bought Hank from him.

deerjunkie

Canton, Ohio
The last one I bought was from Pet Smart, it was around $100. Worked just fine and was very effective. Had a remote with two buttons, one for the shock and one for the high pitch noise. Both had adjustable nobs to increase the intensity.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
I like my sportdog wetland hunter 400....it's all camo and I got it on ebay for $124.99, they usally go for $180 or more...the best thing about it is that I have 2 dogs...so I spend another $100 bucks on another sportdog brand collar and I can convert the transmitter into a 2 dog training system....the wetland hunter has a tone button, continuous stimilus and nick stimulation buttons with 8 levels of stimulus....my 100# weimaraner black lab mix has learned quickly that sit means sit (not plugging them, their training is way overpriced).

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Thing about training collars is what are you planning on using it for? Field or around the house? Distance is another thing too look @.... Mine will reach almost a mile luckily I've only had that happen once rotflmao I have the expandable version tri-tronics that I can expand too six collars not that I ever plan too do that but one never knows..... If you're just using it around the house too get his attention then no big deal just about any of them will work, but if it's for the field then do your homework and spend money once and wisely.....

Derek j

Knox Co.
I have the sportdog brand that has 1/2 mile or 1 mile range (cant remember off the top of my head). I really like the features and ease of use. It charges quickly, and the main thing is that IT HOLDS ITS CHARGE!!! Nothing worse than the morning of a hunt and having the dang collar be dead. I have heard good things with tritronics also, so really it will boil down to price range and intended use like J said.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I like my sportdog wetland hunter 400....it's all camo and I got it on ebay for $124.99, they usally go for $180 or more...the best thing about it is that I have 2 dogs...so I spend another $100 bucks on another sportdog brand collar and I can convert the transmitter into a 2 dog training system....the wetland hunter has a tone button, continuous stimilus and nick stimulation buttons with 8 levels of stimulus....my 100# weimaraner black lab mix has learned quickly that sit means sit (not plugging them, their training is way overpriced).

Ditto.

The tone button is a must Beener. Remi hardly ever wears his any more and I can still stop him on a dime with just the beep. I had one of the smaller SportDogs when he was a pup, then bought the 400 Wetland. I ruined the smaller one by leaving it charge TOO long, so take it off the charger on e it's done charging. Tritronics make a great collar, but I went for something a little less pricy with nearly the same features. I have not regretted it...

Kaiser878

ohio
Leo doesnt go hunting without his Sportdog 1000 on. Although, I have been through 4 of them now....We are hard on equipment!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Leo doesnt go hunting without his Sportdog 1000 on. Although, I have been through 4 of them now....We are hard on equipment!

Damn Zach how you fuggin that many up man..... I've lost one, replaced it only too find it two weeks later lol.... my Beagles go through some thick ass stuff and never had any issues.... although you duck hunters are around more water than us beagle guys lol....

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Timber's Tri-Tronics collar has served us well. I've had to send the remote in once for service, but the company had great service & quick turn around to get it fixed up and back to me.

Here's the model I have... http://www.tritronics.com/sport-basic-g3-exp.html

The main thing about e-collars is to make sure you ease into the level of "shock" needed to get your dog's attention. Too much too fast can do damage to the dog. It's a training tool, to be used for good and not for evil. :smiley_crocodile:

Derek j

Knox Co.
Damn Zach how you fuggin that many up man..... I've lost one, replaced it only too find it two weeks later lol.... my Beagles go through some thick ass stuff and never had any issues.... although you duck hunters are around more water than us beagle guys lol....

So far the sportdog wetland version I have has held up nicely. Bailey wore it multiple times in the boat, the river, and the marsh......no problems with water intrusion, and the charge lasts nicely. Hopefully she will have a lot more duck hunts this year, so it will be abused more. As long as you remember to close the rubber plugs on the charging ports, you are golden!!

Kaiser878

ohio

Haha I don't know man. It.gets used almost everyday after I kill mydeer. I usually duck hunt every day I don't work after that. I think the really.cold.days where water is involved.is what ruins them. I ruined.one back in 08 when Jesse came and. Hunted . It waslike neg 20 with a bunch of water retrieves.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Haha I don't know man. It.gets used almost everyday after I kill mydeer. I usually duck hunt every day I don't work after that. I think the really.cold.days where water is involved.is what ruins them. I ruined.one back in 08 when Jesse came and. Hunted . It waslike neg 20 with a bunch of water retrieves.

They ever cover it under warranty for you? You would think they're sealed good enough too prevent water from screwing them up......I think if I was having those issues I'd look into another make/brand.... Or talking too the manufacturer about what was going on with them..... Like I said mine don't see the amount of water yours do but everything else in between lol.....

Do you have the wetland version or the field version? May need too invest in the wetland version of it too keep the problems too a minumim if you don't already use it....

Last edited:

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Just got my SportDog in the mail! Time to test it on the wife

Reminds me of a Cinco De Mayo party about 10 years ago. After mucho tequilla, Coronas, and some drunken instigation, my buddy turned on a bark collar & strapped it around his neck. After the first few whispers he muttered didn't set it off, I smacked his ass hard enough to make him yell.... then the collar did it's thing. ZAP!!!! I never saw anybody get tazed before, but that had to be close rotflmao

Sorry to de-rail.... hope the new collar training is going well!!