Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

EHD again?

Bowman

I know the local news just reported dozens of dead deer in PA, but didn't catch the counties?

I sure hope it isn't back in my area of Southwestern PA, but starting to wonder?

Going off last years outbreak, the very first time a set foot in the woods in Sept, I caught the faint smell of death, but could not locate the source. Within weeks a full fledge outbreak as we all know with many dead deer.

This year same exact thing, only two different areas after the heavy rain with no wind and caught a whiff again in two completely different areas I couldn't locate. There was no breeze as I must of caught a thermal just right, but definitely smelled death in two different areas, which has me concerned now?

Anyone in SW Pa or border counties in Ohio hearing or seeing any reports?

Bowman

I didn’t even want to click on this thread...I hope you’re just smelling coons or something. Good luck man

That's what I thought last year, must be a coon or possum? and ended up a bad outbreak.

Now two different areas? highly unlikely a coon or possum IMO , can only hope so?

Bowman

Did anyone hear of any in Ohio? I work with a guy that actually commutes and lives in Cadiz area, and he said they found some there? The guy isn't a hunter so really not sure it's factual information and they were EHD related?

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Haven't heard anything. I think people are quick to say ehd nowadays. It only takes one dead deer and it's all over social media.

Reactions: Carpn

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Another thing ...ehd has probably existed for as long as deer roamed the earth . These occasional out breaks are nothing new . With social media now you hear about everything and word spreads fast .

Ehd sucks but it's nothing new .

Reactions: Isaacorps and Mike

Bowman

Another thing ...ehd has probably existed for as long as deer roamed the earth . These occasional out breaks are nothing new . With social media now you hear about everything and word spreads fast .

Ehd sucks but it's nothing new .

True, but was more concentrated to specific areas years ago, where many hunters never experienced it, where nowadays it's more wide spread effecting many more areas now and new to many.

I work and sometimes hunt in the Cadiz area and haven't heard of or seen anything that would make me worry. Found 1 dead small buck but he was on a ridge top crp type field a long way from water.

Bowman

I haven't heard anything here in Jefferson county and most of you know how bad we got drilled last year. I've had pretty good turnouts on camera this year so I think we are OK.

That's good to hear, I was hearing some areas of Jefferson could have lost up to 80% of the herd last year? I occasionally hunt Public in Jefferson and didn't even bother last year with all the reports. If you are seeing pretty good numbers, I'd have to think certain areas really didn't get hit that hard as others? Gives me a little more hope to maybe check Public in Jefferson this year?

Oh, we lost a lot. Found a lot of deadheads and others did as well. But I’m seeing more deer than I expected to see. Not saying it’s back to normal, but I’m pleasantly surprised.

From my experience it usually takes 3-5 years before it gets back to normal if you are in the middle of a bad outbreak. The downside is it seems to hit alot of areas about every 5 years.

Bowman

I
From my experience it usually takes 3-5 years before it gets back to normal if you are in the middle of a bad outbreak. The downside is it seems to hit alot of areas about every 5 years.

That's what I have heard too, which sounds about right?

I work with a guy who's area got hit bad last year, went from seeing a dozen or so deer in the fields around his place last year, to hardly anything this year.
Last year showed me several pics of nice bucks, this year nothing, and he's only seeing a couple deer here and there. This is what I basically envisioned in hard hit areas?

Last edited: