Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Electrical question

Jamie

Ohio
I'm having to replace my under sink disposal unit. it's wired direct, no plug or outlet. the romex is BARELY long enough to work with. would be much easier job if I had another foot of wire. Anyone know of a good way to splice romex in line? this wire is exposed under my kitchen sink, so I don't really need a junction box, but I'd rather have something better than wire nuts and tape if there is a nifty crimp or plug connector for solid wire that I'm not aware of.

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
61dGA6m-4lL._AC_SS450_.jpg

Isaacorps

Columbus
Any reason not to have it wired direct? How about putting in a receptacle under the sink with the wire you have, then wiring a plug into the disposal? I’ve never installed a new one… Do the new ones come with a plug or ready to be wired direct?
This. Set a junction box, install an outlet. Get an appliance cord whip and wire it into the disposal. Plug it in and you’re in business.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Isaac suggestion is your solution. You can splice it, but I assure you, disposals last only so long, so you'll end up revisiting it again if you intend on living there for many years. Disposals are usually wired directly, no electrical pig-tail plug, but like Isaac said, just set a single gang junction box with a duplex receptacle, then you'll have an extra outlet plug for whatever else, if ever in a jam. That's what I have and would do in your situation.

Good luck to ya!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike and Jamie

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
I need a wallet about 3" thicker. I'm sure you can relate with the house build. Man oh man are materials high. Everything expensive anymore.
The price of materials is high, but what sucks worse is not being able to get materials. I called Friday to order pavers that are being used on our deck and was told the lead time was 4-5 months!!! I mean damn.