Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Farm Pond Palooza

My brother and I hit a farm pond in the Bellefontaine area, this afternoon and the catching was non-stop. We were catching bluegills and largemouth bass for 2 1/2 hours straight. We each caught 30+ fish and the only reason we stopped was that my brother had to be at work, by 5.

We kept 19 of the bluegills...all of which were over 8". There were a couple of times, while trolling that I had a fish in the boat and one on the other line. As soon as I would unhook the first fish, throw the lure back in the water and start reeling the second fish in...a fish would hit on the lure that was dangling in the water on the first line. It was NUTS and like that for the entire time we were there.

This is a private pond and has always produced some excellent fishing. :smiley_bril:

The catch!

My brother...

Me...

The fish fry is tomorrow! :smiley_blink:

Bowhunter57

Last edited:

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Bluegills on a stringer....a first for me. Nice looking catches. What were you catching them on? The gills in my pond are hitting flies real good right now.

Gern186,
I have a collapsable basket that I should use for the gills, but the stringer is what I normally carry and whatever I decide to keep falls victim to it. Thing is...the basket's a pain to drag along, seeing as how we were fishing from kayaks. They were hitting on electric blue and purple twister tail jigs, in 1/8th oz. and Strike King Bitsy Minnows (crankbaits), in both baby shad and baby bass.

Honestly, I think they would've hit anything that they could've gotten in their mouths. Just for fun...I left the rod with the jig dangle about 5' below my kayak and rocked the kayak side to side to put a jigging motion on that lure...meanwhile I was casting the Bitsy Minnow. While catching a bass on the crankbait, the jig was getting hit...directly under the kayak. I had to hang on to that rod with my leg, until I got the bass in and unhooked, so that I could reel in the bluegill. I was laughing the entire time and had a blast. :smiley_bril:

Bowhunter57

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I found your thread inspiring, so after cutting wood all day I took my kids and loving bride over to my neighbor's pond. We killed 'em. I think we got half a dozen crappie, two largemouth, and maybe 40 big bluegills. Pitched them all back, but had a blast catching them. We used worms, flies, small spinners...they all worked! There are fish of all species trying to nest already!