Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Farm Ponds are starting to warm up!

It's typical of this time of the year, but the farm ponds are the first ones to warm up. I hit a local pond, today and noticed the fishfinder was marking them higher in the water. The temps were in the upper 50s.

I used a shad colored crankbait to catch this guy...a 14" largemouth. A nice start to the year. :smiley_bril: Threw him back to get bigger.

Bowhunter57

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That's a good start, 57. Crankbaits are one lure I've never really gotten into... Some guys have a ton of success with them, but for some reason I rarely catch anything on cranks. It's definitely an aspect of my bass arsenal that needs some work.

ohio
That's a good start, 57. Crankbaits are one lure I've never really gotten into... Some guys have a ton of success with them, but for some reason I rarely catch anything on cranks. It's definitely an aspect of my bass arsenal that needs some work.

X2 and expensive to lose a couple

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Nice start to the year!

I got on a kick of throwing almost nothing but lipless cranks about 20 years ago...Rattl Traps, to be exact. They were deadly and I enjoyed fishing them as you could work them anywhere in the water column you wished. I haven't really bash fished much the last 15 years or so, but if I did get back into it, I suspect Rattl Traps and texas rigged worms would still be my bait of choice. Old habits die hard, even when more effective methods are available.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nice start to the year!

I got on a kick of throwing almost nothing but lipless cranks about 20 years ago...Rattl Traps, to be exact. They were deadly and I enjoyed fishing them as you could work them anywhere in the water column you wished. I haven't really bash fished much the last 15 years or so, but if I did get back into it, I suspect Rattl Traps and texas rigged worms would still be my bait of choice. Old habits die hard, even when more effective methods are available.

Lol... No offense, Brock, but you sound like my dad. He just won't give up on texas-rigged rubber worms. Don't get me wrong... I cut my bass fishing teeth on the texas rig... But these days, I normally throw a Yamamoto Senko or a weedless frog, or a chatterbait instead of the classic rubber worm.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
:) Youre dad is obviously a lot brighter than you! I think I can get most every fish around to eat a texas rigged worm.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
With these warm temps this week I'll probly head out Saturday and hit up some farm ponds or maybe even get the boat ready to go. I'm gettin pumped to go!

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
More of a willow leaf spinner bait guy myself but also like the floating rappala shad and on occasion a baby bass crank bait. Buzzbaits around the weed bed edges is a lot of fun in the early morning and evening time too :)

JBrown said:
Crankbaits are one lure I've never really gotten into... It's definitely an aspect of my bass arsenal that needs some work.
JBrown,
Before last summer, I would have had to say the same thing about my arsenal. If is wasn't a texas-rigged worm, spinnerbait or some sort of top-water buzz or plug...I just didn't fish anything else. However, I met up with some guys on Kiser Lake and they got me into crankbaits, used for trolling for stripers. I never caught any stripers, but caught everything else. Being in a kayak, I'm the motor, so if I wasn't paddling, I wasn't trolling. Needless to say, I got a lot of much needed exercise...and a lot of fish. I caught channel cats, crappies, bluegills, smallies, walleye and saugeye. I hate the damn things, but I even caught a few sheephead.

Crankbaits are simular to spinnerbaits, in that they're good for quick locators of fish. Once a fish hits one, then a worm or jig can be thrown in that same area to catch other schooling fish.

customizer1000 said:
X2 and expensive to lose a couple
customizer1000,
Odd that you should mention that, as I agree. However and just recently, I've been at Walmart and have been seeing random lures for $1. No special markings, sale tags or flashy signs...just the normal yellow with black print price tags. I thought it was odd and it made me check every single price tag on the racks. I came home with 5 crankbaits and 2 of them were Repalas, for a $1.

Bowhunter57

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
With these warm temps this week I'll probly head out Saturday and hit up some farm ponds or maybe even get the boat ready to go. I'm gettin pumped to go!

You better think about servicing your mowers and trimmers first son! haha

Diablo54

Outside
How many fish did you catch in the state tournament? Hmm i think it was very few. Imagine if you would have caught as many as me...maybe we would have been 1st. Hahahaha