Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Favorite calls

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The one that particular bird likes. But my go to is a zink power hen thunder ridge series slate.

Screenshot_20220419-203354_Chrome.jpg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I bought a $25 poly single reed from Field Proven Calls years ago that's still my favorite. Even my acrylic double reed from FP doesn't compare. I run a Bandes poly short reed for geese that also gets the job done. I've blown on a lot of high end calls and not a one has convinced me to leave my polys behind.

Reactions: Left field

Left field

I bought a $25 poly single reed from Field Proven Calls years ago that's still my favorite. Even my acrylic double reed from FP doesn't compare. I run a Bandes poly short reed for geese that also gets the job done. I've blown on a lot of high end calls and not a one has convinced me to leave my polys behind.
I saw there sight have my eye on a few of theirs

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
On my lanyard I run a custom Zink NBG for 90% of my calling, an Echo XLT for soft stuff or quiet days, a Zink Long Neck Rocker for geese, and an old HS whistle for pintails and wigeon. I also have a RNT Daisycutter that I like… it’s laying around somewhere in a box.

Poly, acrylic, wood… they all make duck sounds. Use whatever call you have confidence in using. I admit, I’m somewhat of a call snob and generally prefer acrylic. But of all the polycarbonate ones I’ve blown over the years, I think Field Proven manufactures the best economy calls.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Don’t like how Ohio has 2 turkey limit but only 1 can be from public land
We're a one bird state now.

Screenshot_20220420-053424_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: Hedgelj and giles

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Good job I have the Odnr app it says to be announced :unsure: believe it should be made public well in advance but wtf do I know
In the age of information, they've made a half-assed effort to spread the word. The app could easily be modified to reflect the change, or they could arrange for an alert to be immediately obvious when you open it. Like a lot of things that originate within the DNR as a whole, I'm not impressed. Wait until the whole injection well thing blows up in their face and a lot of the world will see why I'm such a critic.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
In the age of information, they've made a half-assed effort to spread the word. The app could easily be modified to reflect the change, or they could arrange for an alert to be immediately obvious when you open it. Like a lot of things that originate within the DNR as a whole, I'm not impressed. Wait until the whole injection well thing blows up in their face and a lot of the world will see why I'm such a critic.
Injection well?

I don't waterfowl hunt so I'm no other help in this thread.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Injection well?

I don't waterfowl hunt so I'm no other help in this thread.
The injections wells in our county, and other Ohio River border counties, are all the rage. WV has intentionally made it incredibly difficult to inject, and you can't inject in NY or PA, so Ohio has become a destination for brine and other produced fluids from the Utica and Marcellus basins. The vast majority of what goes downhole via the multiple wells in this county, originates from WV, PA, and NY. The ODNR has all but rolled out the red carpet in the past thanks to uber-friendly regulations and now some of the wells that were drilled to ODNR spec, are failing. There was a critical technical error made that resulted in two issues within our county that are actively being ignored and/or suppressed. I saw how the one that went public was handled and it was indeed "handled". Before the end of the year, I suspect SE Ohio will be front and center as the prime example of why injection wells are not a good idea.

This coming from a guy who was fed, clothed, and housed for his first 34 years with oilfield dollars and who currently relies on that industry sector to carry a majority of his professional duties...