Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Feed/Bait ban coming?

On the other Ohio forum there is a rambling thread with some folks stating there will be a ban on feeding deer next year due to increased CWD concerns.
Has anyone else heard this?

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
cf25a302-d35c-4872-9858-d4aeeb05794b.sized-1000x1000-1721624372.gif

Attachments

• 48d-1760869726.gif
    48d-1760869726.gif
    1.1 MB · Views: 67

LonewolfNopack

The woods
I put out corn fairly occasionally during season on one of the four farms that I hunt. Its mainly in self defense to the massive amount the neighbors place out on all sides, but serves as a great inventory for my camera as well. The other 3 farms are the same way, but I cant keep up with them or afford it. I absolutely hate that seeing deer consistently has come down to who keeps out the most corn, but that's the way the game is played now apparently. Noone will ever convince me that corn piles haven't fundamentally changed natural deer movement, as I know that it has, even in farm country. They bed around the corn all day and feed on it all night. I doubt it will ever be banned, but id embrace it with open arms if so, and ill be the first to drop a dime as I know many will ignore it. Im not against hunting over bait, but id definitely prefer not to have to, and id love to see natural deer movement return again. I think it needs to happen and makes the most biological sense, so that means it most certainly won't happen based on Ohio deer manager standards and protocol.

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
That link. I wonder who did that?!? 😂

Let's be real boys, no one controls the DNR/DOW like Big Insurance and Big Ag. Baiting makes killing deer easier and that's what Insurance and Ag wants. At this point, "deer corn" is such a big part of the ag economy, there's no turning back. The DNR/DOW will let our deer herd wither away to nothing with disease before they get the gumption or fortitude to ban it. With the fragmentation of real estate throughout Ohio, people are hunting smaller and smaller parcels, which makes baiting almost necessary. It's one more layer in a complex issue that ultimately won't change without a catastrophic collapse of the herd from CWD or some other disease.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Jesse beat me to it.... Baiting and Big Business go hand in hand... Too much money being made off the sale of corn... Walmart has skids full one day and gone the next... It would take a major outbreak of CWD to outlaw bait...

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I put out corn fairly occasionally during season on one of the four farms that I hunt. It’s mainly in self defense to the massive amount the neighbors place out on all sides, but serves as a great inventory for my camera as well. The other 3 farms are the same way, but I cant keep up with them or afford it. I absolutely hate that seeing deer consistently has come down to who keeps out the most corn, but that's the way the game is played now apparently. Noone will ever convince me that corn piles haven't fundamentally changed natural deer movement, as I know that it has, even in farm country. They bed around the corn all day and feed on it all night. I doubt it will ever be banned, but id embrace it with open arms if so, and I’ll be the first to drop a dime as I know many will ignore it. Im not against hunting over bait, but id definitely prefer not to have to, and id love to see natural deer movement return again. I think it needs to happen and makes the most biological sense, so that means it most certainly won't happen based on Ohio deer manager standards and protocol.
THIS!!!!! My thoughts exactly.
I would welcome banning corn with open arms. There would be very few September and early October bow kills without it. The 20 something’s would have no clue how to hunt and quit. Probably the 30 something’s too. I miss the old days of actually hunting.
I probably pay out more in corn than anybody on this site to keep deer around. But never hunted over it a single time this season.

Last edited:

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
That's funny i don't care who you are
🤣🤣🤣🤣
That link. I wonder who did that?!? 😂

Let's be real boys, no one controls the DNR/DOW like Big Insurance and Big Ag. Baiting is makes killing deer easier and that's what Insurance and Ag wants. At this point, "deer corn" is such a big part of the ag economy, there's no turning back. The DNR/DOW will let our deer herd wither away to nothing with disease before they get the gumption or fortitude to ban it. With the fragmentation of real estate throughout Ohio, people are hunting smaller and smaller parcels, which makes baiting almost necessary. It's one more layer in a complex issues that ultimately won't change without a catastrophic collapse of the herd from CWD or some other disease.
Agreed, they want the deer numbers as low as possible, even to the hunters detriment of having a good experience, we've heard it literally from the mouths of the ODNR.

Reactions: gjs4

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Not sure how they made the cut and paste link do that but it deserves a tip of the hat. Brilliant minds.

View attachment 170774

You know. Probably because we didn't want stuff from there posted here. Just a guess.😅. Overlap of topics are fine but links and such have always been frowned upon. I'm actually surprised they could muster enough user traffic to hold a discussion. 😅

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
On the topic though. I baiyed the hell out of Ohio when I hunted there. It has its place and when done right you can kill some nice deer over it. 95% of the people doing it aren't doing it in a manner that will allow them to kill big deer over it though. The biggest impact is how its altered the natural movement of deer. There is seemingly a compile on every property and deer don't have to travel to natural food sources as much. For that reason, I'd like to see it banned. As for CWD and bait, corn isn't the problem. The problem is these deer farms governed by the department of agriculture. Every case of CWD in the state can be traced back to a deer farm. Prohibit them from moving deer and CWD will largely never be a problem. If we aren't going to tackle the actual problem then what's the point.