Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

First turkey hunt

Strizzi

Hey guys,

I’m going turkey hunting for the first time in a few weeks. I’m going to be hunting family property in West Virginia that a normally deer hunt. The property is loaded with turkeys (in the fall during archery season at least). I usually see at least 5-6 birds every time I’m in the stand. I was never able to get off work during spring turkey and thanks to a new job I can now.

This was kind of a last minute decision as my uncle passed a few weeks ago and my aunt need some help around the property so I figured if I’m going down during turkey season I might as well give it a go. I believe I have everything I need, I’ve patterned my shot gun, have a decoy, and calls. Is there anything that I should know from some veteran turkey gunners? I honestly will not be disappointed if I end up empty handed. I have a baby coming late fall so I won’t get to spend my normal allotted time for deer this year so I’m just trying to take advantage of the time I’ll be down there.

thanks I’m advance!

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
You’re in for a great time! Sitting in the woods listening to gobbles in the early morning darkness. First tip I’d give is not to over call. Once you’re sure that the Tom is answering your calls, ease up on the calling. In nature, the hens call, the Tom answers, then the hens go to him…you’re trying to make him come to you. If he’s alone, he should come running in like Dave running in to a cooler full of Busch lattes. If he’s henned up, it may not be possible. The only chance then is to either “get into an argument” with the boss hen. (She will get pissed and search you out…bringing the Tom with her.) Or, if a gobbler does answer but leaves with his hens, he most likely will come back in a couple hours looking for you when all of his hens have left him. Some of the best Turkey hunting can be had the last hour or so of the morning. Good luck. Looking forward to the stories and pics.👍

Strizzi

You’re in for a great time! Sitting in the woods listening to gobbles in the early morning darkness. First tip I’d give is not to over call. Once you’re sure that the Tom is answering your calls, ease up on the calling. In nature, the hens call, the Tom answers, then the hens go to him…you’re trying to make him come to you. If he’s alone, he should come running in like Dave running in to a cooler full of Busch lattes. If he’s henned up, it may not be possible. The only chance then is to either “get into an argument” with the boss hen. (She will get pissed and search you out…bringing the Tom with her.) Or, if a gobbler does answer but leaves with his hens, he most likely will come back in a couple hours looking for you when all of his hens have left him. Some of the best Turkey hunting can be had the last hour or so of the morning. Good luck. Looking forward to the stories and pics.👍

When deer hunting I try to get out 2-3 hours before sunrise. What’s a good time to get out for turkey? I’ve been reading about an hour before for turkey.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
When deer hunting I try to get out 2-3 hours before sunrise. What’s a good time to get out for turkey? I’ve been reading about an hour before for turkey.
If you can go out the evening before around a half hour before dark, then listen for the Tom’s to gobble on the roost. The next morning, try and get to where you heard them gobble and set up a decoy. Don’t get too close, just close enough that they’ll hear you when you call.(I try to get within 100 yards but don’t like to push my luck) make sure you use a green light or no light to walk in. Turkeys have outstanding vision. I’d try and get set up about an hour before legal time, half hour at the latest. Just before first light or when you hear the Tom’s gobbling, let out a couple faint yelps…just to let them know where you are. Also, try and set up in a spot that they already “want” to be. Nothing more exciting then having a big Tom fly off of the roost and land right in front of you…we’ll at least not in the Turkey woods anyway.😂 If you already have an idea where they roost and where they feed, you’ll be that much ahead of the game. There are some great Turkey hunters on here…I’m sure they’ll chime in with some good tips and advise.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Set up either same level or above, they don’t like to come down. Also don’t set up where a Turkey feels like he can be ambushed, just sit next to a tree that is sizeable. Also remember you can move w the Tom in your sights, just move slowly. Sometimes you will have silent sneakers come in while your interacting w the Tom. 9-9:30 till noon they will gobble if your not on something in the morning. High spots in roads and fields are good spots after the early morning hunt. Aim where the waddles meet the feathers on the neck. Good luck

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
If you don't mind I will throw in my 2 cents worth. Like IB stated they are stupid. Don't give them too much credit. They can see everything, hear everything, are scared of their own shadow and stubborn as anything....but they are not smart.
The biggest thing you can do is know the lay of the land intimately, that will always be your biggest advantage. Learn their habits and be able to get into spots undetected that they want to go to. You can sound like a dying goose and call them in if you are where they want to go.
Read as much as you can about hunting them....then don't believe any of it. They can't read and don't follow the turkey habits manual.
I like to try to call them uphill or on a level surface, but they can be called down if that's where they want to be. I killed one this morning and I called him downhill.
I also used to get as close as I could when I was younger and more mobile. Get in his wheelhouse and soft call.....really soft. It's extremely effective.
Good luck and keep us updated.

Strizzi

Thanks everyone.. I’m going to be in a blind so that should help. I have a general idea of the path they take, at least in October/November. I’m mostly playing this year as a trial run and will probably do some real recon this summer as I have to move some stands around.

Reactions: Spencie

ThatBuckeyeGuy

Ohio
You've already been given great advice , my biggest thing I can add which has been mentioned is late morning early afternoon can be super rewarding . Fight the urge to pack it up by 9 and head back home or to breakfast. The more time you spend in the woods the more you'll learn especially on your first few hunts. I've personally killed most my birds and my biggest birds from 10-1. It sure is exciting when you bust one straight off the roost though! Main thing don't give up , just when you think you blew it another gobble can thunder off in the distance, turkey hunting will test your patience! . Its late to many busch lattes and I'm rambling 🤣 best of luck!

Strizzi

Well won’t be turkey hunting this weekend.. smacked a deer on the way down

Attachments

• 28C8BC6C-942C-4098-82A7-7ABD51CF94EA.jpeg
    28C8BC6C-942C-4098-82A7-7ABD51CF94EA.jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 111
  • B79BDF11-16E3-47CB-AFF3-18D566EA0D2F.jpeg
    B79BDF11-16E3-47CB-AFF3-18D566EA0D2F.jpeg
    151.7 KB · Views: 108
  • 6CD3F790-56B3-4427-9E27-98E5781EC10D.jpeg
    6CD3F790-56B3-4427-9E27-98E5781EC10D.jpeg
    166.9 KB · Views: 108

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Well won’t be turkey hunting this weekend.. smacked a deer on the way down
Tie that bumper up and head on out!!!! They won’t have parts for months too fix it anyways!!!! 😂
Glad it wasn’t worse then it was…. Deer make it? Hopefully it didn’t after that damage.

Reactions: Big_Holla

Strizzi

Tie that bumper up and head on out!!!! They won’t have parts for months too fix it anyways!!!! 😂
Glad it wasn’t worse then it was…. Deer make it? Hopefully it didn’t after that damage.
Haha trust me if I wasn’t leaking coolant and trans fluid I would have! The deer was smoked I’m happy she didn’t suffer.. kinda haha