Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Fission Cycles - Appalachian Based E-bikes

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
After wondering what all the craze was about, I finally had a chance to ride an e-bike today. And not just any e-bike, one that is being designed, engineered, and assembled/manufactured about 30 minutes from my house. Through my day job, I got a chance to see their facility and products firsthand today and I'll admit, I'm wondering how to rob Peter to pay Paul to get one now! I rode the FM750, which is what I'd call their "hunting" version with the fat tires and larger motor. I also rode the SO500, which is a cruiser that's beach and campground ready! I also saw a sneak peek at one of the accessories they'll be offering and it's TOO cool! I was amazed at the torque/power of both bikes and how effortlessly I could tackle a hill, but yet, if you want to ride it like a regular bike to get exercise, you can do that too. Needless to say, I get the hype now!

A lot of you guys know Fin Feather Fur Outfitters, so here's another familiar face giving a review on Fission Cycles.

If you're in the market for an e-bike, check these guys out!

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
I've ridden a couple now and I really like them. However, I think they are still limited to private land, as most public doesn't allow "motorized vehicles behind this sign". I'd have one by now if I could use it on some of my public parcels.

Reactions: bowhunter1023

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've ridden a couple now and I really like them. However, I think they are still limited to private land, as most public doesn't allow "motorized vehicles behind this sign". I'd have one by now if I could use it on some of my public parcels.
Has Ohio been enforcing that on these? I mean, you can "turn it off" and ride it like a regular bike. The intent behind the law is most likely noise, fluids, and the destructive nature of quad/SxS/vehicles on trails. This is no different than a bike in that regard. I'd be curious to see if that's something each WO enforces based on their own interpretation, or if ODNR has issued a formal statement banning them.

Reactions: Mike

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Has Ohio been enforcing that on these? I mean, you can "turn it off" and ride it like a regular bike. The intent behind the law is most likely noise, fluids, and the destructive nature of quad/SxS/vehicles on trails. This is no different than a bike in that regard. I'd be curious to see if that's something each WO enforces based on their own interpretation, or if ODNR has issued a formal statement banning them.
Probably where the rules haven’t kept up too the technology….

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Screenshot_20220707-141513_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: bowhunter1023

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
I was doing some research months ago on them and by letter of the law they are not allowed.

"In Ohio, hunters can’t use any kind of bike, motorized or otherwise, to hunt on public land, said John Windau, wildlife communications manager for the state’s Department of Natural Resources."

BUT, like you said, will they enforce it?

Makes you wonder if they consider them "motorized" or not. The one guy in the video mentions taking them to a campground where they don't allow motorized vehicles. I used to snub these off as a gimmick but a few people I know use them now for hunting and swear by them. Crazy prices on most of them tho.

Stressless

Keene, OH
Yup - 750W and under is considered a bicycle, for access/legal considerations, for almost all states and fed land now. That's why the 750W is so darn popular. Plenty of different ways to skin the cat but where there's a gate blocking ATV/UTV's and 4x4's but bicycles are legal you can use one these to push in further, quicker and quieter.
On my farm it's rock and/or gravel on the Oil/Gas lease roads we access thru, walking is LOUD, I know they hear me walking on that gravel 1/2+ mile away. With the bike I ride on the 6'-8' of leaves and dirt on either side and it's a whisper thru the woods. I like the trailer hookup via braided cable as well, hoped to use it to retrieve a hog this Spring that @Chancegriffis had started - would have been nice with mowed kinda flat roadways that were gated.

One key thing is pedal them when you're riding them, some folks around here, and many Amish I've seen up there just use the throttle - that kills the battery. Usually optimum recharge (watts in) is about 60 (peddle) RPM's, makes the battery go 50% longer, example 10miles per charge to 20 miles per change.

One other thing for hunting, a backpack bow rig is much preferred to a handlebar setup, much less shock just riding, but it's really important when you dump your bike, your bow will take a licking being out front - the quiver with broadheads is up there getting thrashed around as well with your body following. I've dumped many many times when I just hop off the bike and let it auger in and I'm on my feet. My buddy Chris went from handle bars to backpack on his this year because of that.
20211105_133246.jpg

Turkey hunting setup.
20210422_101936.jpg

Fishin Edition...
1657244270755.png

The bike to trailer part: https://www.sherpahunting.com/bike_attachment.html

The trailer: https://shop.hawkhunting.com/crawler-multi-use-cart/

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The ebikes are awesome and I think Ohio will need to update its laws accordingly, as this “craze” isn’t going away any time soon. It’s unfortunate but Ohio considers any bike, manual or powered, as a “vehicle”… and according to law, no public vehicles are permitted on state owned land, except in designated handicap accessible areas. It’s a stupid rule in my opinion. If the technology is available for people to use to help them access our wild places, and consequently purchase and retain hunting and fishing licenses, without causing property damage, why not let them? I really hope there is some reform to the law coming down the pike at some point.

Stressless

Keene, OH
Here ya go... for your reading pleasure -

Ohio Revised Code 4511.01 defines the following three classes of electric bicycles.

• CLASS 1: A bicycle equipped with a motor that provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling, and that ceases to provide assistance when the bicycle reaches the speed of 20 miles per hour.
  • CLASS 2: A bicycle equipped with a motor that may be used exclusively to propel the bicycle, and that is not capable of providing assistance when the bicycle reaches the speed of 20 miles per hour.
  • CLASS 3: A bicycle equipped with a motor that provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling, and that ceases to provide assistance when the bicycle reaches the speed of 28 miles per hour, and equipped with a speedometer.

https://codes.ohio.gov/ohio-revised-code/section-4511.522 ebike - current OH statute.

Bigcountry40

Personally I would like to see all e bikes outlawed on public hunting land. The reason some areas are good is guys aren’t willing to put in the work with walking in and dragging/packing the animal out. Feel like it just gives people with higher incomes another advantage, but once these bikes are legalized I will probably buy one, no shame in my game. I just feel like we are making everything too damn easy, nothing like walking/working ur ass off and then being successful harvesting an animal, its gratifying.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Personally I would like to see all e bikes outlawed on public hunting land. The reason some areas are good is guys aren’t willing to put in the work with walking in and dragging/packing the animal out. Feel like it just gives people with higher incomes another advantage, but once these bikes are legalized I will probably buy one, no shame in my game. I just feel like we are making everything too damn easy, nothing like walking/working ur ass off and then being successful harvesting an animal, its gratifying.
That's a very good point. Some of my best hunts and encounters over the years have been in areas no one else was willing to go to. Hmmm......

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
While that's an interesting outlook, lots of big bucks have been killed next to roads, in barn lots, and 100 yards from the trail head. I don't disagree with the fact that a bike makes it easier, but I'm not sure it's a huge odds swinger.

As we get older things like this would certainly help getting back into those spots you hunted when you were younger and spry. Just because they're legal doesn't mean every single hunter will be riding them to and from their stands. Just gives everyone an option to continue their enjoyment of hunting, and to do it quietly.

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
I get that, but its not like these things can just go through anything. You're not gonna see guys just cruising through saddles and crossing ridges and creeks with the damn things. Imagine trying to navigate the woods in the dark on a bike. You'll look like Joe Biden out there. :ROFLMAO: