Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Frack you

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Can it happen? Perhaps with some Mom and Pop outfit but with us I highly doubt it. We have all water, rivers, lakes and such tested before and opeartion begins and tested after wards. All out mud and water is taken to a approved sight to treat it.

Geezer

*Hims a Super Moderator*
Right - but if you take the time to google around you will find a lot of interesting stuff about this issue ...... like New Yourk State did put a moratorium on this type of operation - and remember they kept LOVE CANAL secret for years ----- i'm not against it i just want it done as safely as possible - i know there are some drillers and people who whould sell their mothers to the gypsies for a quick buck - dang

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The only problem I have with NG drilling and fracking is companies are not required to report, list, or disclose the chemicals they place in the brine as an additive. They claim its a proprietary trade secret, and releasing it will give their competition an upper hand.. While it only makes up a tiny portion of the brine it's still a massive amount when compared to volume.. About the only chemical they are expressly forbidden to use is diesel fuel. Yes some of them have used diesel to frack holes a practice they claim they have stopped. However who the heck knows. They aren't required to report it. The industry claims it's such a tiny amount of chemicals it doesn't matter. While they may pump a hundred thousand gallons of brine down a hole that has a 1% additive. The problem is that 1% additive is actually a thousand gallons of God knows what..

Geezer

*Hims a Super Moderator*
Yeah that a major point - some emergency responders and nurses that treated drillers at a blowout in Pa - were pissed because they could not find out what the guys or themselfs were exposed to - dang

Dannmann801

Supporting Member
Springboro
Somebody knows, in the oil companies, and in the government, what the truth is.
And it must be bad, if they're side-stepping the issue.
And since there's lots and lots of money involved, my gut tells me that they're hiding something.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I'll agree w/ Jeff but maybe the treatment plants are the problem. They are taking the frac. material ( because of the big bucks) and saying they can process it when they may not have the technology or equipment.
Everyone wants in on the boom. The process is what it is. If a treatment plant really can't deal with the required process needed and are taking short cuts, than make an example of them! Fracking has been an accepted process for years all around the country. We aren't seeing 3 headed cattle everywhere its done. There will always be some that cut corners for a buck. I say make an example of those that do wrong but like so many things in life, its usually a small percentage that ruins it for many.

I watched most of "gas land" ... the guy is a shit stirrer. Where we work in SW PA. the most outspoken are usually renters. Not land owners.

Here is a good simple clip of what we do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DniNIvE69SE&feature=more_related

rrr

That's a load of liberal bs. Hey kids, New York State has a moratorium (or they did) on drilling, especially hyrdofacturing, for marcellus shale....

My favorite line is "But the EPA is not involved". Hahahaha seriously? Where is the EPA NOT involved?

To quote Sarah, drill baby drill.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I'll agree w/ Jeff but maybe the treatment plants are the problem. They are taking the frac. material ( because of the big bucks) and saying they can process it when they may not have the technology or equipment.
Everyone wants in on the boom. The process is what it is. If a treatment plant really can't deal with the required process needed and are taking short cuts, than make an example of them! Fracking has been an accepted process for years all around the country. We aren't seeing 3 headed cattle everywhere its done. There will always be some that cut corners for a buck. I say make an example of those that do wrong but like so many things in life, its usually a small percentage that ruins it for many.

I watched most of "gas land" ... the guy is a shit stirrer. Where we work in SW PA. the most outspoken are usually renters. Not land owners.

Here is a good simple clip of what we do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DniNIvE69SE&feature=more_related
How do we know who's dong wrong if they don't have to list the chemicals in the frack solution?

Geezer

*Hims a Super Moderator*
Well ya can stick you head in the stand if ya want to - like i said - i not against it - just want it done safely - lot of info out there but like everything on this forum - ya believe whatcha want - quick bucks are cool but keep the big picture and future in mind - yes they have been drilling for years but the new horizontal drilling changes the game a li'll - easy money sometimes has a hidden cost - don't matter where the weak link in the chain is - when it breaks ya got a problem

btw CJ - i watched the simple clip ya posted - kinda on a 1st grade level - really not that informative - kinda like the fox guard'n the hen house

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
The Guy from Gasland is a jerk!! I guess the question with the Dimock Township issue was the water tested before any drilling occured? In the county we drill in it is before, durning and after to insure saftey. Methane gas has been around a heck of a long time, we called it swamp gas back home. CJD and I were burning some wood back in our swamp area and when you walked every step you took and little flame would shoot up out of the ground.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Tell that to the 14 families in Dimock Townships, Pa who had their drinking water well contaminated - dang
I talked to my water well driller about this. He's is over 60 years old, a third generation well driller and probably has as much water well experience as anyone. He told me the only place he personally knew of a gas well contaminating well water was from a couple of gas wells drilled in the 1950's near Canfield, shallow wells by todays standards. He said while the chance of problems isn't zero it's so close as to not worry.

Nothing is without risk. Importing our oil hasn't been with out risk either.

Geezer

*Hims a Super Moderator*
The Guy from Gasland is a jerk!! I guess the question with the Dimock Township issue was the water tested before any drilling occured? In the county we drill in it is before, durning and after to insure saftey. Methane gas has been around a heck of a long time, we called it swamp gas back home. CJD and I were burning some wood back in our swamp area and when you walked every step you took and little flame would shoot up out of the ground.
Why did them make them plug the gas wells - Yep i know about the methane - some people have it in there water in the Berlin Lake area - first time they told me they could burn their water i told them they were crazy - guy went ta the sink and drew a glass of tap water and lit it on fire - dang - that condition has been there in that area for years -

I would just like ta know the truth about this issue and have some real factual information - but i know thats impossible with our form of government and coperation leadership - dang

I have received about four offers to lease my place just recently and have in the past - there quite a few small older gas well in this area - i think most are the older shallow wells. Well there are just too many other people living around me with 3 acrea lots for me to sign a lease at this time - just wouldn't feel right about - don't want to be a party to possibilitiy messing up their water - with the horizontal drillin technique they will probably drill under my place anyway - dang - well i guess i won't get the new ithaca 28ga for now - maybe sam will let muh shoot him

i don't want you dunne boys ta take anything i say about this issue as a personal attack on you guys - you all are the finest of people - and if i was younger i would ask ya ta hook muh up as a mud loger - i could use a good paying job

As a side note- i remember when the Cuyahoga river would burn from industrial pollution - dang i worked as a brakeman on the Newburg and South Railway and we serviced the Republic Central Blast Furnaces - down in the Cleveland Flats - i would got to work some days and the river would be burning - it a wonder i am still kick'n - there was so much silica flakes and dust around that furnace we had to wear special safety glasses to keep it out of our eyez dang - guess they didn't care if we inhaled it - dang - thee was so much iron ore dust in the atmosphere that the homes in that area all had a red coating to them - people didn't bother ta paint - dang

oh yeah - i would like to see drillers test the water befor - during - and after drilling to insure safety - don't know if thats possible

Last edited:

Geezer

*Hims a Super Moderator*
Well i am sure he is a fine fellow and the best water well driller - but really what experience does he have with this new technology - does he know what chemical are in the fracking fluid and etc. - dang

I get the economic issue on the whole energy thing Sam - and know about risks - its just that in this area its like a gold rush and screw it - if it was up to me we would be drilling for domestic oil and gas in the USA every where we could - but uhm sorry to say that i would demand regulations and inspections the would make it as safe as technologically possible

Theres not a simple cliche' answer to this issue