Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Glennas First Deer

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
In August I started watching a buck that was progressing nicely. He was hanging out with a tall 12 pt. Just as season got here the 10 moved to where Glenna was going to hunt. You could tell while looking at pictures she wanted this deer. Typical deer season came along. We were there, he was not. He was there, we were not. Glenna had at least 5 descent bucks show up at different times. Each time I'd say ",He's not bad, its up to you" Her reply was usually "He is nice but I want a real good one...wish my deer would show up". We had 2 close encounters with him. Quitting time got us once and a doe blew one other time. When she trotted off, he followed.
The night before gun season the wind was right and to the blind we went. A lone doe came in and fed around but kept watching the thicket. At 4:30 the 10 walked in and bumped her out. He was facing us and Glennas breathing was radical...her movements were stealth mode. He got nervous and turned to his right...She squeezed the new bow tight and the lighted nock disappeared in what looked like a good spot. He made it to the brush and his tail was acting crazy. Glenna was freaking out with excitement and buck fever. 15 minutes later,, we both finally laughed and headed to the house.
We were all geared for retrieval but the arrow didn't look good! Clear liquid, gut and a smear of blood. And rain coming soon. Found 3 puddles of blood where he stopped. Size of a baseball, medium color and thick like liver or air/lung. Followed 5 more yds to see he went west. We decided to back out.~~and start of a very long night!
Glenna had to work the next morning. I told her I was gonna park the 4 wheeler at the big beech tree and find that deer or else! Raining and cold but I left. Every lump looked like a deer on the path to the beech tree. When I set the brake and turned it off....this is what I saw....
20201130_083133.jpg

Track job was 3 minutes as he only went 30 more yards and fell.
I called her at work and said "I got some bad news..." I quickly told her the truth and sent pics. She acted like a kid at Christmas. Glenna now thinks the long waits were well worth it. Not bad for first shot ever at a deer.
The shot was good actually and the rage done its job. Liver was totaled and one lung gone.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Great job Glenna! Better than what I ever did, that's for sure. Her deer hunting career started off on the right track, that's wonderful!

Congratulations to her on first great deer harvest!

Appreciate the story behind it all, well done!

Reactions: xbowguy

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Fantastic! Very happy it came together for her. She’s certainly put in the time this season and her patience has paid off.

Reactions: xbowguy

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
That is so awesome. Nothing better than your wife or family members hunting, enjoying the same passion as you do. To be able to share the hunt and her first one (toad) is just icing on the cake. Looks like you will be giving up the best stand from now on. Congrats again to both of you.