Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Gobbler with the WidowMaker

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
So i have been out turkey hunting on and off this year when time permitted,the first week was pretty slow at my main hunting area then it was back to work.

So the last 5 times out i never heard a gobble anywhere which was a first.

This past Sunday things came together and i got in on a couple longbeards right off the roost, i was tucked in against a big oak tree and some thick greenery around and in front of me.
The birds flew down and got quiet so i called real soft and Gobbble! Gobbble! rang out,they were coming to the left of me but hung up at 40 yards out of bow range and followed a hen across the creek..Well Crap! No more gobbles after that so i went to the other side of the property and set up at my blind with a standing decoy and a breeding hen out in front at 7 yards.

At 8:30 i did some calling on my slate call and again Gobbble! Gobbble! Gobbble! rang out about 400 yards away across the pasture.
I called some more with my mouth call and slate together and Gobbbble! Gobbbble! Gobbble! again but alot closer,pretty soon i could see 2 birds coming along the field edge and when they looked down the logging road i was set up on they started running in.
They hung up at 70 yards and circled into some greenery where i couldn't see them, i scratched out a few soft purrs and clucks..Gobbble! Gobbble! I jumped a little when that happened as he was only 15 yards away.
Pretty soon i heard that familiar..pffft vroooom pffft vroooom sound and saw his fan and longbeard moving my way with a jake following him.
He walked right in and strutted around the breeding hen doing circles around her 3 or 4 times as i had tension on the bowstring thinking how can i screw this up after such a slow season.

Finally on his 5th time around the decoy and at 5 yards i came to full draw and picked a spot and let the string glide off my fingers..
At the sound of the arrow finding it's mark and the flapping of wings i knew it was a solid hit!
Damn my heart was beating as i watched him trot off but looking wobbly and then he took off flying!
I grabbed my bow hurried out of the blind and walked quickly to where i last saw him,after about 60 yards i heard a loud commotion from above and he had landed in a tree and was spiraling out like a crashing plane and then a loud Thump!
The woods were pretty thick but after a minute of looking i saw his fan on the ground and ran over and collected my gobbler.
What a day and hunt! ! I was just telling my buddy Kevin a couple days before what a lousy season it has been this year and was about ready to hang it up with work being so busy and almost didn't get up and go that morning but knew i had to give it a try.
The Widow did it's job again on another nice gobbler.
Weight 23 lbs
Beard 10.5 inches
Spurs 1-1/4 inches

Attachments

• IMG_20200510_122310_257.jpg
    IMG_20200510_122310_257.jpg
    467.3 KB · Views: 191

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
What an accomplishment buddy!!!! The time and dedication you’ve put in at practicing and all the other nuances you’ve worked on that trad hunting requires has paid off for you.👍🏻👊🏻

Reactions: Boarhead