Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Google Maps

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I'm not sure how many of you guys use google maps on a regular basis. I've always used them, but found out about a cool little feature I figured I would share. Maybe I'm just catching up from the stone age and this has been around for a while, but I thought it could be pretty handy for hunting and fishing.

When you pull up google maps on a computer, in the upper right hand corner you can sign in if you have a google account. Once signed in, there is a tab in the box that pops up on the maps called, "My Places," where you can go into a map and place markers with a title and description for the points. You can also lay down lines and save them to that map. The maps can be kept private or made public, depending on your preference.

I thought this could be useful to all of us that hunt and fish for marking anything from treestand locations, to trail camera pics of the big buck, and trails you use to access your area, heck even trails the deer use! I set up a map for AEP of ponds I have fished, what I caught in them, ponds I want to visit, and how I accessed them. With the note boxes for each point, you can leave a detailed description so you have that info for future references, instead of looking at a printed aerial with push pins in it asking yourself, "now, what was this green pin for again?"

Like I said, maybe you all have known about this for a while, but I just figured it out and thought it might be something handy we could all benefit from!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Great Idea...

Don't forget you can also post maps on too... All you have to do is copy the link from the google map and click this button on your reply

Tadah

[MAPS]http://maps.google.com/maps?q=13700+U.S.+33+Nelsonville,+OH+45764&hl=en&sll=39.513092,-82.04355&sspn=3.110494,4.938354&t=h&hnear=13700+U.S.+33,+Nelsonville,+Ohio+45764&z=16[/MAPS]

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I use this tool in Goole Earth so my wife knows my hunt locations and where I will be. That's sweet Joe.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
Great tip Fluteman, I was not aware of that...now that I am, I no longer have to copy screenprints, paste them in a powerpoint file and add marks, comments other info in powerpoint...I will have to play around this now!

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Great tips fellas! I always make sure someone knows exactly where I will be hunting. I also give them a time to come looking for me if I'm not back by then.