Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ground ideas

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
So I'm struggling.

My family doesn't care for much ground venison hamburger so i don't make much of it. We don't eat a lot of trail bologna so i only make a little of that.

I'm thinking about trying brats this year.

Any other ideas for uses for the trim? I've cut back significantly with meateater giving me ideas for the ribs, shank, blade roasts etc but still get some.

Cogz

Cogz
TX
I think I'm going to make snack sticks again only increase the size because with the small diameter casing it was a risk PITA.

Ive done the jerky gun with no casing in long strips and then just let them break to random sizes when bagging. Never tried making snack sticks myself, post photos if you do it

Reactions: Hedgelj

mrbighorns

Medina
+1 on the breakfast sausage- some of the girls don’t like venison burgers but love the sausage. Also have a couple of heartty soups i use it in

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Recipe for the breakfast sausage?

Reactions: Hedgelj

Bowkills

Nw oh
Good heatry potatoe, mushroom soup or any kind of stew with 2lbs of ground goes well. We generally grind one whole doe a year but never eat grilled deer burgers.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I bought an 11lb sausage stuffer last year. Ordered some different seasonings online along with casings. Made a all kinds of stuff. All of it good. I would buy bulk ground pork anytime I seen it on sale to cut In with it.
My favorite is the breakfast links using the Leggs Sausage Seasoning. We made: Venison Italian sausage
Venison Brats
Summer sausage

Just purchased the stuff to do kielbasa, and gonna do bologna

Reactions: Isaacorps

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
All great suggestions so far.

Question - Why exactly do they not like the ground venison? Is it the taste, or just a weird rationale in their heads? Do you butcher the deer yourself? If so, how well are you trimming the trimmings?

If it’s a “gamey” taste that they dislike, I would assume you aren’t getting enough fat or silver skin taken off the trimmings. It’s tedious, but it makes all the difference, especially for picky eaters.

One additional suggestion… Get an Italian sausage seasoning kit. Mix with about 20% pork trimmings. This is great for making spaghetti, lasagna, goulash, pizza topping, etc. The Italian blend and the pork trimmings mask wild flavor very well.