Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

GUERNSEY COUNTY BLACK BEAR

Chancegriffis

Salesville ohio
I just saw my first ever black bear here in guernsey. Crossed right in front of the truck about 80 yards. My son said, I didn’t think bears lived here dad. Thing never stopped running! Curious if anyone around this area has seen one in surrounding counties. Not a small bear either. Probably 175-200lbs. Tried to get my phone out and take a picture but I couldn’t catch it! Pretty cool to see, though!

Buckmaster

Portage
There’s a couple that live by me in Portage Co. often reported in my neighborhood. My neighbor said she saw one cross the road onto my lot 2-3 years ago. They can cover some vast territory.

Bigcountry40

there was a bear living near the Kent state campus, in the late 2000s. I would get email alerts, I have to believe that has to be the farthest west they’ve traveled. Anyone heard any bears follow a river farther west in Ohio? To clarify in northern Ohio

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
There was one in Vinton county a couple years ago. It was photographed in McArthur and I had bear tracks in the mud on my property.

The lease I hunted 10 years ago in Vinton had one also. Off 50 on Clark road about mid way between Londonderry and crossroads store.

Reactions: Sgt Fury

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
I recently shared this ODNR video in the OTTER thread regarding "Carnivores make a comeback in the Buckeye State".

Within the very same video, the person also discusses the history of black bears within the state, sightings, etc. etc... Thought it would be appropriate to share the video once again for additional information.

BTW, a family member had a black bear trapped by ONDR on their property in Vinton Co. last year and I posted a photograph of the bear in the HOG thread too. Attached photo below.

Video starts at the bear section, 11:58 minutes within the video if interested in checking it out.

Attachments

• signal-2021-12-19-12-37-37-000.jpg
    signal-2021-12-19-12-37-37-000.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 75
Reactions: Stressless

Stressless

Keene, OH
Old joke from my buddy what lived in AK as the senior enlisted Force Recon Marine ...

,,,"Know how to spot bear sign? It has hikers trail bells in it and smells like pepper spray." :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Left field

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
I recently shared this ODNR video in the OTTER thread regarding "Carnivores make a comeback in the Buckeye State".

Within the very same video, the person also discusses the history of black bears within the state, sightings, etc. etc... Thought it would be appropriate to share the video once again for additional information.

BTW, a family member had a black bear trapped by ONDR on their property in Vinton Co. last year and I posted a photograph of the bear in the HOG thread too. Attached photo below.

Video starts at the bear section, 11:58 minutes within the video if interested in checking it out.

IMG_20230810_102842.jpg

IDK 🤷‍♂️ if anyone else heard or saw this fb post or not. My better-half texted it to me the other day. Looks like there are 🐻s not too far away from us..