Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Gun Week so far

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Well it's been a fun week too say the least.... Haven't pulled the trigger yet on a deer but have had fun none the less..... My son's buddies asked me too go on some deer drives with them and met a bunch of people who I have never hunted with before (which made me a little nervous at first) but they spoke highly of them so I said WTH lets do it.... These guys are a class act and appear too be a safe lot as well.... No popping off shot willy nilly all over the place and won't shoot little bucks as well.... Will take a limited amount of does and their motto if you ain't going too mount it then don't shoot it.... We've been pushing deer for 2 straight days now and haven't dropped one yet with only two shots taken so far out of almost 16 hours of driving... Lots of does and little bucks have been bumped and moved around.... I've had two chances at does the first one I wasn't quite sure where everyone was at so I gave her a pass turns out no one was around my shooting lane and could of shot but better too be safe then sorry... Second one was in a thicket with lots of brush and just didn't feel right.... second pass today never had a shot but saw plenty of tails lol.... All in all alot of fun and will hit it again tomorrow at 0730..... Guys all get along well together and have been doing this since the mid 90's every year.... Lots of walking and when 8:00 rolls around I'm ready for bed lmao

Hope y'alls week as been as fun as mine... Anymore I don't countthe deer laying on the ground for a good hunt... It's alot of fun if you can share a good time with some old and new friends.... I'm not going too add this deer drive time to my total for stand hunting because I've had a blast this week so far :smiley_clap:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Sounds like a good change and some fun was had by all. I have only ever been to ONE deer camp in my life and that was this season at Fluteman's. Was a great time with a great group of friends.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Hey J I was thinkin about you this week as I pulled a couple of all day sits...I think yer right, we're gettin too old for an all day sit down, dang..still sore days later

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
None seen Mike.... trust me if we did everyone would have pulled the trigger on a yotes versus a doe.... or small buck for that matter....

Dan I agree with you 100% lol.... after driving deer for the last 4 days that stand is looking pretty good again lol.....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Did my first all day sit of the season yesterday Dannman and J. I think you guys might have me by 10-15yrs. Umm. . . it isn't the easiest thing in the world to do. Better have a comfy stand for an all day sit. I brought 2 extra cushions and sat in one of the bigger stands. Couple of the stands I hunt would be next to impossible to sit in an entire day.

Gun season for me? I hunted one morning after the snow until around 1pm. Saw lots of does, a couple small bucks, but had no shots. Friday I helped my buddy drag a dandy out. I couldn't be happier for him. It was just as good as tagging one myself. We both work the property together and hunt it together. It was very nice to see the fruits of our labors in his truck bed. Yesterday I pulled an all day sit and had a coyote to show for it. Good stuff! Today I still hunted the last couple hours of the day. It was wet and I hunted the ground quietly without spooking any deer. I felt very good about this. Too bad I only saw one deer and she bolted when I tried to move in order to verify she was not a button buck. All in all, I call this a successful gun season for me. Sometimes it is not about tagging a deer I guess!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Here is the shot placement the one kid we hunted with yesterday from 80 yards....

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Sounds like a great time J. The group you hunted with describes our group pretty much. Glad you had a great time.