Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Gut Pile cam . The results are in ....

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Just checked the cam & the results are pretty much what I expected .....

First visitor, at the top. That's where the deer was actually shot .....
Gut pile .JPG

Gut 3.JPG

gut 9.JPG

gut 6.JPG

This was my biggest fear. And while I was at work. It also explains why he threw up his food in the middle of the night ....

gut 10.JPG

gut 8.JPG

gut 11.JPG

gut 12.JPG

gut 13.JPG

I had a lot of pics. These were the players. Deer were there more often than any of the others. The fox once. The yote once. The dog, thank God once. The hawk once. So, if you have a gut pile & are still after another deer, that would be a hot spot. Put some corn down & there will be action.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Interesting findings. I figured coyote first, maybe possum. Hawks are not a surprise. Good sign you may not have a ton of coyote close?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I have heard tell that deer eat gut piles. Interesting finding man.

I'll never forget years ago someone on here posted and asked if a gutpile will scare away deer. To which someone immediately replied. "Deer have no idea what their own guts smell like anymore than you do yours". I thought that pretty funny.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Phil, that's the 1st yote pic I've gotten anywhere since I had a number of them come thru this same spot right before the season began. It's the deer that were all over this spot .... Just the same, it was the yote & the damn dog taking their fair share.

gut 7.JPG

Reactions: hickslawns

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Now that I think of it, I also remember reading something years ago about deer walking the beaches of the Great Lakes eating smelt.

My childhood was all a lie. Bambi isn't as sweet and innocent as we were all lead to believe !

Last edited:
Reactions: hickslawns

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
I have heard tell that deer eat gut piles. Interesting finding man.

I'll never forget years ago someone on here posted and asked if a gutpile will scare away deer. To which someone immediately replied. "Deer have no idea what their own guts smell like anymore than you do yours". I thought that pretty funny.

The deer will eat the rumen of a gutted deer. Seen plenty deer walk past a gut pile when hunting on the refuge after a lottery hunt.

Now deer usually won’t go near a whole decaying deer.