Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hang-on Stand for Mobile Hunting

Looking for suggestions for hang-on stands for mobile hunting. Something that I would pack in and out every day. I ordered a set of Lone Wolf Climbing sticks today as they had a good deal on steps that were blemished (not functionally but just on the finish). I was looking at the Lone Wolf Alpha has you can set them in crooked trees, but not sure how comfortable it would be for all day hunts. I like the seat on the Millennium m100u although it may tougher to set in a crooked tree.

Anyway fire away.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've been kicking around the Lone wolf but currently carry the M100. It is a bit cumbersome to carry and hang but once it is up it is like sitting in your favorite recliner.

Reactions: cspot

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've been a M100 fan for years. Swore by them year after year. From a comfort standpoint, they simply can't be beat. HOWEVER, from a mobility standpoint, the Lone Wolf hang-on stands beat the pants off the M100's. Easier and quicker to hang, no separate bracket to fumble with, noticeably quieter, seemingly lighter, and the LW sticks are designed to fit with the stands for great packability. This year was the first year I hunted with LW stands (Alpha and Sit'n'Climb) and all I could think about was how I wished I'd have made the switch sooner.

One thing you read online about the LW stands is that the seats aren't comfortable. I have not found this to be the case at all. Sure, they're not a hammock seat like a M100... But they're more than adequate. I personally like the minimalist type seat that comes stock on these stands. I spend a lot of time standing up when I'm in a tree and the LW seat folds up out of the way nicely, and quietly. And I never once got a sore ass from sitting on one.

Slightly off topic, but since you mentioned tweaking your mobile setup, look into changing the stock cinch buckle straps on your LW sticks to climbers ropes. This is an absolute game changer for mobile stick hanging.

Reactions: Isaacorps and cspot

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm still a Millennium man myself, but I think that will change this year. A LW hang-on is my future and I plan to do the climbing rope mods to my stick. Looking to get quieter and simpler for this setup, even if it means sacrificing a little comfort. I only hung-and-hunted twice last year and neither time was an all-day sit. Like JB, I stand more than I sit, so it's time to "lean out" my mobile setup.

Reactions: cspot

Creamer

Athens
Have you guys considered saddle hunting?

I'm going to play with one this summer. I've been a Lone Wolf guy forever but if I am going to hike in as far as I plan to into public ground, I won't be able to do it carrying a big stand and sticks. The idea of using a saddle and a couple of sticks (probably with an aider type strap) makes a lot of sense in that scenario.

I'm still a Millennium man myself, but I think that will change this year. A LW hang-on is my future and I plan to do the climbing rope mods to my stick. Looking to get quieter and simpler for this setup, even if it means sacrificing a little comfort. I only hung-and-hunted twice last year and neither time was an all-day sit. Like JB, I stand more than I sit, so it's time to "lean out" my mobile setup.
Yes that is what I am wanting to do. I still have my climber which would have comfort plus I probably have a dozen or so blinds or ladderstands set around in more permanent areas.

Creamer

Athens

When you say climbing rope mod, do you mean an assist strap like this?

Reactions: triple_duece

Creamer

Athens
No. This...

Interesting. I've been using LW sticks for a long time and I've never felt there was a noise issue from the buckles. I'd add to that, though, that the past few years I haven't done nearly as many hang and hunts. For other stands, I used 5 sticks and removed the bottom 2 every time I left, so I'm only hanging two sticks when I go hunt. The big advantage I saw in his video is rope length, because LW straps are not as long as I'd like. All I had to do was see that tree at the 3:25 mark and I knew without a doubt, no chance in hell those straps were making it around that tree.

My plan right now for the saddle and trad bow, which I still haven't played with together yet, is a couple of sticks and an aider strap. I'm going to pick up one of those straps with a bunch of steps to act as a "platform." Right now I can't justify spending $150 on one of those little saddle platforms. I'm not going to hunt nearly as high with the recurve as I hunted with the compound. I need to grab the saddle from my buddy and get some practice in it. If the saddle isn't going to work out, I'll use the LW Alpha, sticks, and aider. My buddy that has the saddle bought it new years ago, and never once took it out of the package.