Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hardwax oil

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
Does anyone have any experience with hardwax oil for finishing interior wood?
6E359464-846D-45F5-A3B6-6051BDAE177F.jpeg

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
No experience myself... But I'm interested if anyone else has used it. I've got some stained oak window sills that could probably use something like this. I wonder what this product offers that Minwax polyurethane doesn't?

Jamie

Ohio
I've never used this product. I suspect that is would be like using any natural oil, like tung oil, boiled linseed oil, french polish, etc. I have used straight paraffin to finish bows, melt it directly on the wood with heat gun and watch it soak in, and it works great, looks amazing, but requires regular maintenance. these types of products are typically easy to use, but will require maintenance because they are not true film-forming coatings. they are for looks and moisture repellency. it would probably require a great many coats to build depth in the finish comparable two or three coats of polyurethane.

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
I ordered a different brand, yes Jamie it does not build up, and also doesn’t yellow and is supposed to keep wood light, which is why people use it. It keeps from getting the plastic coated look of poly, it is for wood floors also and the reviews says that it is durable and gives an oil rubbed look with only 2 coats. I will only be using it on walls, if I like the look.