Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hedgelj 2022-3

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I've got some plots seeded and a few trail cams went out today. We still liking moultrie or is there better for non cell? i need to buy a few more.
Found this guy
Screenshot_20220828_172824.jpg
Screenshot_20220828_172815.jpg

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Got the rest of the trail cams out last week.

Probably going to do a pull next week just to see what's in the 'hood.

Next week is the Ashland cty fair so I'm off to help take care of fair animals. Planning on sighting in with the new broadheads and a few other things.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Posting my trailcam photos in their own thread.

See the continued trials of my crossbow thread for how my sighting in started today. Once I got the bolts separated into who flew where I dialed in at 20 yards and then backed up to 40 yards (per the Tenpoint zero'ing instructions) and got her dialed in. Then put on the triplepoint outdoors clovis tips on and tried at both 20 and 40 yards and I was within an inch of the field points. I'll take it. Took out the set screws and I'm ready to hunt.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Definitely disappointed in how the bison mix took when spread into a pasture, can't really tell any difference in what's growing vs what is growing in the rest of the field. Some differences are noticeable on other plots.

I have a better sprayer for round up so maybe this year will be another learning year.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Getting the rust knocked off. First sit of the year. Got to the tree and realized i didn't have a safety rope but it's a double ladder stand so i was glad i tossed in my safety strap.

I saw 2 does and a nice young 8pt in my way in (got going later than i wanted ... knocking rust off) and just had a 4 point come up downwind to about ten yards.
20221014_075327.jpg
20221014_075330.jpg
20221014_075334.jpg

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Looking for some suggestions. I'm off tomorrow and want to sit at least most of the morning.

Concerns:
Temps but cannot control for that other than being out early before it gets hot.
Lots of fog making the woods wetter and harder to hear the deer moving.
S wind - don't have many set ups for that wind direction.

I plan on smoking my gear and self up heavy to help to help mitigate the smell and wind.

I can do ladder stand or my climber on a patch of woods that's a long side by side ride and walk to get to and because of such i haven't put any cameras on it all year. Will probably set there for opening day and possibly youth weekend with my son. So i have no idea what's there but it's a river bottom next to the mohican River so if anyone is staying close to water and looking for does is a perfect travel corridor.

Or I can go and use one of our plastic blinds near where there are active scrapes and rubs and hope the blind covers my scent better than a stand. Though harder to hear movement in them.

Or go up to another travel corridor where i haven't seen much this year but it's a traditional good spot. Would take my climber on that one.

Thoughts or suggestions?

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Good time and morning to gather some intel and who knows, you might find out that this corridor is a great spot. If’n things are slow still hunt with a cheek wind DW of known doe bedding areas on your way back to truck if it’s possible.

Reactions: Isaacorps

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I like the idea of scouting to gather Intel. Sitting over an active scrape right now could be a toss up. I'm not seeing a ton of true doe chasing rut activity, which means hunting a scrape in my area might be a decent idea. Not sure on your area.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
So I've had a few sits and haven't seen any mature bucks yet. I just read through the write-up of last year youth and I am not gonna try to match or exceed it. Reading last year's posts helped me gain insight, there's so much more to this than inches if antler.

Youth looks cold so rather than a stand I'm going to go to a blind and pack in the buddy heater and possibly more to help Coop handle it. I
The food plot trailcam photos I posted earlier today. If the deer stay in the "groove" but go over the hill from that spot they head right for the blind I'm thinking of. It's also a reasonable walk from the house.

I just timed up the muzzle break on the new 450 bushmaster upper. Hopefully gonna let the rocksett cure overnight and zero it tomorrow and verify zero with my rifle.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Sighted in/confirmed zero with 2 450 bushmaster ARs, 1 350 legend bolt and a 444 Marlin lever action. It won't be the gun's fault with any of them if the deer don't fall.

I had a trail cam on a scrape and just below the scrape was the new feeder I put out, and below that was an even more active scrape. Gonna look at those pics later tonight. Put some deer 'cane down near the mineral block I've had out that I noticed needed replaced. Put some more deer 'cane at the other building/blind my son and I might hunt out of this weekend. Checked to make sure both blinds had chairs in them. Checked for wasp nests. Verified my buddy heater works and grabbed some tanks for it for the weekend.

Now time to make dinner.

Isaacorps

Columbus
Sighted in/confirmed zero with 2 450 bushmaster ARs, 1 350 legend bolt and a 444 Marlin lever action. It won't be the gun's fault with any of them if the deer don't fall.

I had a trail cam on a scrape and just below the scrape was the new feeder I put out, and below that was an even more active scrape. Gonna look at those pics later tonight. Put some deer 'cane down near the mineral block I've had out that I noticed needed replaced. Put some more deer 'cane at the other building/blind my son and I might hunt out of this weekend. Checked to make sure both blinds had chairs in them. Checked for wasp nests. Verified my buddy heater works and grabbed some tanks for it for the weekend.

Now time to make dinner.
Don’t forget the bourbon for your coffee

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Youth season has come and went. We saw deer but none we either had shot opportunities for or my son wanted to harvest. Learned that Buddy heaters are damn nice.

Opening day of gun season. I set up in a location so I'd be nearby if my son or dad needed help (and in the location that 90% of the deer that get shot at from their location head towards). My son hunted till about 9:30 and didn't see anything. I was able to hunt no later than 2 because I had to be doing the Dad thing dropping kids off at activities by 3. At 1:15 3 came out into the field way out from me at about 150 yards. I hadn't seen anything all day. I waited till the last one was at the edge of the field thinking they'd bolt right across the field to my dad when I shot. I shot and missed (but hit a dandy of a branch - watched it in my scope but didn't see it before I squeezed the trigger) and they ran around the field and then came back in and circled me through some thick brush. I was tempted but didn't want a prolonged tracking job considering my time constraints. I figured they'd work their way to my Dad. So I climbed down and called it a day.

My dad ended up not seeing anything all day. :(
Oh well there were deer hitting the ground all over the farm just not near me.

Tomorrow I'm going over to where we spotted a big rub line. Its at least 100 yards or more long and almost every tree is the size of my calf or better. Its tucked in right next to a bunch of blowdowns from the spring storm and you can't really walk through it so I'm hoping the big guy is wanting to hide out away from the orange army and sticks his body up long enough for me to send him 150g kiss.