Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Help/Advice

Johnny44

I am looking for some guidance on public land areas around central Ohio; alum creek and Delaware. I’ve hit some dead ends online. What is the best resource for maps? Should I just go to the park offices and then put boots on the ground and scout?

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Start looking into phone apps such as; https://www.onxmaps.com/ - https://www.huntstand.com/ or others than can easily help you regarding properties, property owners, parks and park boundaries. There are other free apps out there as well. That might be a good start for you other than regular computer research, like google searches, google maps, google earth and county auditors sites.

I wouldn't rule out going to the park either and try to pick up local intel by asking those that work there first before heading out into the woods.

Good luck!

OO2

In the Uplands
In the past I have used google earth and Caltopo for maps. I can’t speak for the park offices quality of maps, probably worth a shot. Never know a ranger might give you some pointers.

I use OnX maps for my public land adventures. I can overlay topo, ownership, satellite and more. This helps me scout and ensure I’m within boundaries. Also, you have the ability to use it offline if in an area of no service. A website called Camofire occasionally has memberships at 17.99 that you can buy. If all else fails you should be able to use “THP” to get 20% off on the OnX website

Hope that helps and good Luck!

Last edited:

Johnny44

Thanks guys. I’m not afraid to scout, I just worry about boundaries and regulations. As near as I can tell, if it’s hunting season it’s fair game. I feel like I can just park and walk in... is that the case?

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Thanks guys. I’m not afraid to scout, I just worry about boundaries and regulations. As near as I can tell, if it’s hunting season it’s fair game. I feel like I can just park and walk in... is that the case?

Wouldn't hurt to call ONDR/Park Ranger/Wildlife Resource Officer for the area and gather as much hunting leeway info as you can if you can't physically go there ahead of time and get it, but yeah that's how it can work for many places, but not all. Some may have restricted areas within some public parks.

Last edited:

OO2

In the Uplands
Scouted a few areas today. Spoke with game warden last week and been by park office a couple times. Need to get a canoe for some spots like the post said above to really get after it but I think I can make due for now. Still can’t get over the fact that I can just walk in and hunt.
Isn’t it a beautiful thing?

Keep us posted how it goes for you!

Reactions: Redneckfucker

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Scouted a few areas today. Spoke with game warden last week and been by park office a couple times. Need to get a canoe for some spots like the post said above to really get after it but I think I can make due for now. Still can’t get over the fact that I can just walk in and hunt.

Awesome man. Enjoy. There are some great areas to hunt in this state.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Did the park office inform you about hunting around the campground? Archery only, stay 400' from trails and campsites. The best way to access it is weiser road. Turn east on 229 off of 23. It's the first right. Once you get past the houses and the road curves right, everything on your left is public. Once you get to the gate, you're at the back of the campground, everything beyond that is archery only.

Dont overlook the small chunks of public that are scattered around the area that aren't attached to the main wildlife area.

Delaware is very brushy and super thick, that's why there are some good deer pulled out of there, tons of cover. But if you spend some time there, you can find some hidden pockets. Be prepared for a long drag though.