Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hortontoters 2016 Whitetail Journey

The summer is almost outa here and the fun is about to begin. The 'ol Horton is ready to rock and roll. I spent last Saturday making my final preps. This amounted to cleaning up my box stands and clearing shooting lanes. I feel for you guys that have to hang stands every year, my job is so much easier. As of last Saturday I have no buck on camera that I want to hunt exclusively. Hopefully this makes for a more interesting season. There are a couple deer that I may shoot, I'll decide when and if the opportunity arises.

To make things easier for everyone to visualize I'm posting a google earth map of my hunting area. I had to go back to 2006 to find a map where the trees were bare. I had just bought this property in the spring of 2006 and I'd say this photo was taken that winter sometime. I can see the roof of the cabin dad and I built in May of 2006 and my small white shed in the photo. The blue lines represent creeks, the white lines represent my property line on the outside. The zig-zaggy lines inside the property lines represent the paths that I run my tractor on to get to and from most area on my property. The small field towards the back of the property is kept mowed. The yellow pins are all box stands except Creek Bottom 2. This stand is a brush stand to allow me to hunt an east wind in my creek bottom. Dad's Stand is only used during gun season.

Hope you all enjoy all the wonders and blunders of my upcoming season. I'm sure it will be interesting. Property Map 2.jpg

This creek has a tendency to rise very quickly, but recedes just as fast. If the creek is to high to cross I can't hunt at all. This is very seldom the case though. I had a bridge that crossed the creek when I purchased the property. It was partially destroyed in a flood the summer of 2006. I finally retrieved most of it this summer. I hope to rebuild it before next fall. If I'm on stand and a heavy rain comes I get back across the creek in a hurry. The Creek Bottom Stand 1 can be hunted on the cabin side of the creek.

Buckmaster

Portage
Thanks for the explanation Dick. I envisioned that creek as a potential issue during the wet seasons.

How many acres you have again?

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
As always I'm right here with you and hope to read a real good ending to this! Good Luck Buddy and I hope it makes Splits look small!

Here are the only three deer that I'd consider taking as things stand today. No giants, behind every tree for me. I had two good bucks at my property last year, but they are no where to be found this summer. Trying to let bucks grow at my place is almost futile. The 9 point and 8 point have both been around a few years, but neither have grown much. The 10 point is a new deer in my area and looks to be quite young. I'd like to let him grow, but may take him if I have the chance to. I'll know better once he becomes hard horned.

Attachments

• HUNT1998.jpg
    HUNT1998.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 262
  • HUNT3731.jpg
    HUNT3731.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 288
  • HUNT3801.jpg
    HUNT3801.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 251