Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

HVAC- Install

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
As if I didn't have enough to do. Time to replace one of our HVAC systems as the coil has developed a leak. Goodman being one of the only HVAC manufacturers that allows direct to consumer equipment sales makes it an easy choice. The quality of these units is pretty damn good and has steadily improved. 10 yr on parts and lifetime on the compressor. But the best part is parts are very reasonably priced and available if you need to go out of pocket for whatever reason. IMO there is no sense in installing a Lenox, Train etc. I'll do the entire install then knock on the door of one of these guys around here with a HVAC van in their driveway and ask them to do a little moonlighting to braze the lineset, vac, and top it off with refrigerant. A little bit of work and ability to follow directions and a fella can save a fortune.

We have a home warranty company that came with the house and I just took a payout from them after having to threaten a some legal action for breach of covenant. Their preferred service technician AKA "methed out guy who lives in a van down by the river" was trying to put the screws to me. The Air handler and replacement was covered by the HW company but he somehow managed to tack $1,300 in other charges on the bill as non-covered charges. They also wanted to put in a new R410 air handler but keep the 15 year old R-22 compressor outside. I fought and fought with them for a cash payout and finally asked for the mailing address of their registered agent in the state of Mississippi capable of receiving certified court mailings. Amazing how the tune changed after that and I got an English speaking woman in the US. Between their payout, our energy companies rebate, and the federal rebate I'll be out of pocket $2,065 for a brand new system. Not a bad deal all told.

I'll keep this update with the install pics as I go.

1631071540701.png

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Finally got the right weather to do this, but you can wait when he heats up again to complete it 😂

Not to mention my next three weekends are booked. 😅. That's ok. Early morning in the attic isn't bad and I can work on it before work.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Idle hands. I went ahead and installed the auxiliary heat strip in the top of the cabinet. Nothing fancy just removing a spacer plate, installing the strip, and mounting the breaker. Validated that the coil and drip pan are oriented right for a horizontal left installation.

20210923_125831.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Time to leave shitbox.

20210923_140749.jpg

Now, before starting, a responsible adult will do the EPA required thing and have a local HVAC company come out to recapture the R-22 refrigerant for safe environmental disposal. Less scrupulous individuals will cut a tiny hole in the liquid and suction lines outside taking care not to have their hands or eyes close to the cut. You could also pump it down by closing off the compressor but that makes it very difficult to dispose of the pressurized compressor. Luckily this one leaked and was empty. 😏

Also. Kill the power at the main breaker. Double and triple-check that it's off. The breaker in the unit IS NOT a disconnect, it only kills power inside the cabinet. New code requires a disconnect within eyesight of the unit. This was installed before that so I had to go find it in the main breaker box. I like to check it hot first with a voltmeter to make sure the meter is working right. Both legs should read 110 or so if it's not a gas furnace that only needs 110. Then without turning off the meter go flip the breaker. Check it again to make sure it reads zero. This validates that your meter is working and nothing has changed since you checked it hot and is now cold.

20210923_141745.jpg

Remove the wiring and drain line. Cut the liquid and suction line. If you're only replacing the air handler with a new air handler with the same refrigerant you will reuse the copper liquid and suction lineset so cut it close to the unit. If you're going from R-22 to the new 410-A and replacing both the inside and outside units just cut them wherever as you will not reuse them due to contaminants from the old refrigerant.

Once done you can cut the unit away from the plenum and return to remove it. This one is the fiberglass box build, some of them are bent metal that is usually screwed together.

20210923_143220.jpg

At this point, you can check the overflow drain pain for rust issues. This one looks in pretty good shape so I'll reuse it.

I know my new unit is 53 1/2 long so I cut the plenum to size. At this point, I'm ready for the new unit to be lugged up and sat in place.

20210923_144544.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Outside unit removed. Pull the disconnect in the wall to remove power from the unit. Verify with a voltmeter.

20210923_152413.jpg

Take something insulated and discharge the capacitors so you don't get popped. Then remove the power wires and the communicating wire that runs back to the air handler. Cut the liquid and sections lines and remove the unit.

20210923_152956.jpg

Cleanup the pad. I'm not going to set the outdoor unit until I get back on Sunday. No sense having it out there not hooked up where it could be easily stolen by a scraper. I'm going to set this unit on some blocks as it's obvious the old one was getting dirt and water under it contributing to rust.

20210923_154209.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Deop the new air handler in place and reconnect the drain. Make sure it's level so that condensate runs appropriately.

Still need to finish out the plenum and return joints, hook up the electric, and connect the thermostat and compressor communicating wire per the supplied instructions and diagram.

20210923_164358.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
That's enough for the day. If I had a hvac guy lined up to do the final refrigerant charge tomorrow it could be done. No reason a man couldn't get this done in a day.

Layer of duct sealant, strip of fiber mesh tape, topcoat with sealant. Has the consistency of caulk and gets everywhere like antisieze. 😅. Dries like a slightly flexible rubber and sticks to anything.

20210923_221555.jpg
20210923_221619.jpg