Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

I hate to be excited about this....

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Neighborhood just lost power. Except ME ! First time ever needing it ....

20210706_144754.jpg
20210706_144805.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Nice. I need to do something similar. I have a genny but need to make the connection and setup the disconnect.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
The ol Generlink is finally being used! Great to hear it is working as intended after sitting idle. I looked hard into the best route for our application and I got stuck between the Generlink and a manual/hard lock out switch in the panel and a 30amp plug on the outside wall. Is yours/was the wifi model available when ya bought this a few years ago Kevin? Can you see when grid power is back on?

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Fuck'n power came back on right after hooked up. I'm glad for everyone else here just the same. I'm not aware of the wifi model, so I cannot say anything about that. I can still tell when power comes back on. There's a few LEDs underneath the generlink telling so. I have a Duromax 8500, so go with as big as you can go. When the weather is shitty or just plain miserable, it'll be easy to envy those w/ the gas / lp setups :)

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Did the electric company supply that meter for the generator to plug in too as well?

The reason why I asked my first question is because there is such a thing as utility power meter clearances and based on what I am seeing in your photograph, anything within 15" all around the meter on the wall is something that electric companies usually wants as clearance. It is even more for other type stuff such as vegetation (shrubs, bushes, trees) or other type services like gas, propane and such. Even the cable and telco service needs to be a bit further away from the electric meter box typically.

Anyhow, I was just wondering as all.

Glad to see you have an emergency backup generator for whenever you loose your utility electric power.

Reactions: Outdoorsfellar

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Well son of a...thanks for the jinx Kevin....we went dark at 4:35, 5mins into a business call! Both power and cable/internet are out and eta to fix was 8pm, back to not sure lol.

Reactions: Outdoorsfellar

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
I sure did....done with that call....that was easy, lol!

12v backup sump is working as intended, no need to plug in gennys to power anything until a few more hours when fridge/freezers need to run or lights r needed.

I like the LED indicator lights your has as a visual for grid power back on. My manual setup means I wait for the neighbors lights in the distance to come on/text them or a text/call saying it was restored.

I'll be damned if we didn't get one heck of a 15 minute storm last night as soon as I got home. Knocked a bunch of branches down, the basketball net, etc. before the power went out. Was just going to ride it out for a while til I remembered I put the generator in the front of the garage behind all our garage sale shit. So spent a while getting a path cleared, ran cords got it up and running for the first real time since we got it. Went to the in-laws and got their generator going and all hooked up too. Power came back on around 11 I believe so it was run around and put everything away time then. Decent test run considering I didn't even know it was going to rain.

US Carburetion makes an adapter for your portable generator become a 3 way generator. Then you can use gasoline, natural gas or propane.

I am not affiliated with them nor receive any compensation from them for promotion.

I have the 3 way on my 6500 peak/5500 continuous generator and it has been great! we have natural gas through GPU/NFG and it burns much cleaner then gasoline. I also have a 100 pound just in case tank of propane, which never goes bad I am told.

At that website they will already have the answers to practically all of your questions, plus helpful folks are just a phone call away. I pull the main breaker and backfeed 220 into my home so that all circuits are available, but I shut down the things I don't need.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'll be damned if we didn't get one heck of a 15 minute storm last night as soon as I got home. Knocked a bunch of branches down, the basketball net, etc. before the power went out. Was just going to ride it out for a while til I remembered I put the generator in the front of the garage behind all our garage sale shit. So spent a while getting a path cleared, ran cords got it up and running for the first real time since we got it. Went to the in-laws and got their generator going and all hooked up too. Power came back on around 11 I believe so it was run around and put everything away time then. Decent test run considering I didn't even know it was going to rain.
Did I get blamed for that too ? Lol

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Well, I guess it’s my turn… Apparently a tree split in half, took out a bunch of wire and snapped a pole with transformer last night around midnight. I quit checking the updates as every time I looked it added an hour too their ETC so I fired her up and she started right up and now the refrigerators and freezer and coffee maker is good too go…