Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Inline with a Patched Roundball?

I've got a 28" barreled CVA Optima, in 50 caliber and it has a 1:28 twist. I was thinking of using a patched roundball for groundhogs, next spring. However, a typical roundball rifling is a 1:60, 1:66 or 1:70.

Has anyone ever shot a patched roundball out of a fast twist barrel? 🤔
I'm curious as to how good the accuracy would be out to 100 yards and beyond.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
BC12AE3D-C937-48CD-9D0F-B1F678D6ABD7.gif

Fixed it for ya….

Reactions: Boarhead and giles

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
I've got a 28" barreled CVA Optima, in 50 caliber and it has a 1:28 twist. I was thinking of using a patched roundball for groundhogs, next spring. However, a typical roundball rifling is a 1:60, 1:66 or 1:70.

Has anyone ever shot a patched roundball out of a fast twist barrel? 🤔
I'm curious as to how good the accuracy would be out to 100 yards and beyond.
Don’t know about the twist rate/accuracy but I can tell you putting 30 grains of powder with a patch and round ball is like shooting a .22 rifle…hardly any kick. Lots of fun shooting squirrels.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I would think the faster rate of twist would make then projectile unstable. Round ball guns have a show twist for a reason. With that said it would cost you very much to find out on your own on the backyard range.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I would think the faster rate of twist would make then projectile unstable. Round ball guns have a show twist for a reason. With that said it would cost you very much to find out on your own on the backyard range.
This is a very accurate statement. You won’t have the accuracy of a conical or sabot.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
My Thompson Center Renegade has a 1-48 and is supposed to be good for both ball and conical bullets but it likes patch and ball best. Sweet spot is 90 grains of double F black powder. Did try hunting ground hogs one year with it but never got any lol. Shot a lot of pyrodex out of it but never got good groups. Talked to Chad Cleland and he's like you know there's a reason why we use black powder in competition. So I bought a couple pounds to try and never looked back. This doe was a 130 yard shot.
IMG_20221204_091024801.jpg

Last edited:
@GoetsTalon
Chad Cleland certainly knows what he's talking about. He's "shot out" the rifling in more T/C barrels, than I'll ever own. 👍 I met him at the Friendship, Indiana shoot, several years ago, before I knew he had Cleland's Outdoor World, in Swanton, Ohio. I was just curious about the roundball theory, but it would probably be best to just stick to conical sabots with this inline. 💯
I've been looking at the Kibler Longrifle kits, in one of their Colonial models, which would be an excellent patched roundball rifle choice. However, they're only $1200 to $1400, but damn good looking rifles when they're finished. :cool:
Kibler Colonial.jpg

Fletch

Supporting Member
View attachment 167829
Here’s a pic that was taken many moons ago of me and a Thompson Center Hawken 50 cal. This was the rifle that I used to shoot squirrels with 30 grains of powder and a patch/round ball. Wish I still had that gun.😊
George I have the same gun... It's accounted for a few deer using buffalo bullets...

Reactions: Sgt Fury